² thirty two

Nate .

"He settled?"

My dad nods, and I just stay silent.

"You have nothing to say to that?"

"I have nothing." I look away, going back to the one thing I needed to focus on. "Rue is sleeping and I need to get my things in order to begin doing the job I've always dreamt of. No more sitting around here and...living my life based off of how Worth is faring. Now I can fulfill my dreams of being an investigator."

"True."

I sigh happily, looking back at my dad who was already looking at me. Still...looking at me with that judgment.

"What?"

"How are you doing with him gone? Do you even know where he is?"

"Nope." I answer quickly, clearing my throat some. "I can only assume where he is. Does it really have much to do with me? Maybe...but I can't focus too much on that or it'll consume me again. He...will consume me again."

I inhale sharply, not wanting to show too much emotion over the topic. Because I've already had my meltdown.

Right when Worth left and didn't look back at me once. Just got in his car and drove off, I was a wreck. His nephews were confused, but they didn't overthink too much on the subject.

However, I was overthinking on the subject. Despite it being my idea...I thought he'd fight more. Instead, he just accepted and even put out there that we can break up.

Under normal circumstances, wouldn't you want to fight for all you could? I most likely wasn't going to budge in the first place, but still.

Just the idea that he tried would've been nice.

Instead of outright accepting.

"I took your advice, I'm having my break. So why are you looking at me like that?" I look back at him, getting irritated. "You don't like that I took your advice?"

"I didn't say anything, why are you assuming?" He snorts, brushing me off.

I just felt like he was hiding something from me... Was it in regard to Worth's case or Worth himself? I felt like he wasn't saying something...and it was something I think I needed to hear.

"You should look more excited than that," My dad chuckles, but I ignore his positivity, "While Worth gets himself together - I assume - and is settling this case to better both of your lives - I assume once again, you can focus on your career. For you both, it's new beginnings."

"You're assuming a lot of a person you don't really know or understand." I found myself saying, even though I'd hope...he's doing those things. "I assume...he is probably upset and depressed. I told him I wanted a break from him, and I know he probably feels like I gave up on him. When that's not the case, I just need...to get myself together and be away."

"I get it, you don't need to explain yourself to me."

"I kinda feel like I have to. I just feel like you're looking down on me for doing this."

My dad shakes his head, and I wondered if I was overthinking now.

I don't want to regret asking for this break. I don't want to have it come to an end and I see him...and he lets me down. He lets down Rue, and then I will have to make some difficult choices.

I don't want to lose him or leave him, but I will if it means keeping Rue out of this nonsense. This isn't something I want to carry into her childhood. I want her to see two parents that she can trust, rely on, and feel supported.

With all of that nonsense in Worth's family...it'll destabilize everything.

He's already tried so much, so there's only one thing he can do. I just don't know if he can really do it. When it comes to his actual family, it has him being back and forth.

That won't be acceptable when it comes to a certain point. When she can start remembering things...I want him to already be aware of what he wants.

How he wants to go about things and all of that.

I already know what I'm going to be for her.

It's his turn...for her and me.

"All I can say...is trust him."

I stand still, not saying anything at first.

Except when I felt my heart begin to beat quickly excitement, I already knew. I was already trusting the process, I was trusting him.

"I do."

_________________😀

- yolo 🫶