² eight

"So...you were in jail unfairly, right? You weren't even supposed to be there?"

"No." I answer quickly, because it was now I was on the stand. Earlier, some of what I went through was presented, but not all of it. "I was not, but Chief Michael - at the time - kept me in there to take Micah's  place."

It only began with the stuff from when I was seventeen and what led up to me being placed in there. And so far...I can tell that the prosecutor wants to have me look like the issue in all of this.

That I knew what was in store.

Like I was saying before...but others say I would've never expected something like this...

And that's true.

"Were you ever asked to partake in these affairs with Michael?" The prosecutor asks me, and I frown.

"Yes, but I was seventeen. He first asked me...almost two weeks into me being there illegally. I wasn't charged for anything. I was kept there as a means of getting a confession out of my older brother, their actual target."

"Then why didn't you just simply tell them? You must've wanted to be in there if you didn't just tell them what he did."

"I felt like I had an obligation towards my brother to defend and protect him up until I couldn't anymore. Either way, I shouldn't have been placed in that predicament. It's illegal either way."

"If it is illegal, why didn't you report to anyone?"

I fall silent, getting frustrated with all of this. I look at Archer who was nodding for me to continue. Even though I was just getting more annoyed by the second.

"I had no one to report to."

"What about Nate?"

I flinch, my eyes flickering onto Nate who sat back in the gallery. He even looked annoyed now, except Archer didn't look upset at all. He looked happy that he brought him into it.

Why?

I'm over here frustrated and I see him with two others, excited.

"I still...didn't trust him at first. I believed he'd be like the rest, and once again, I didn't want to leave. I felt like it was my destiny to be in there for Micah." I tell him firmly, seeing the prosecutor look amused by my expression.

"Are you upset?" He just asks me aloud.

"Objection, that is not a question to the case, but a question to his emotions. Which has nothing to do with questioning of the case itself." Archer insists to the judge who nodded in agreement.

The prosecutor pursed his lips, looking down at his papers once more.

"One more question. Is it true that you willingly walked out of that jail and chose to walk back in?"

My eyes widen because I only did that a few times. I didn't start doing that until...

"I...I only did that when Nate came. It's because-."

"You weren't supposed to be there, yes, so that means you didn't have to come back. You, at that point, made the choice to come back and Nate brought you back too. There could've been other means to obtain a confession. Why wasn't that done when you were free? You made that choice to go back into a place you supposedly, weren't supposed to be in. You could've walked out at that point with Nate, but you didn't." He explains, looking away from me as he began to click his tongue in disapproval.

My lips began to tighten in absolute frustration.

"Mentally, I was already accepting of my placement. Nothing and no one could get me out of there because I felt like that was where I belonged."