(Smoker) More To Life

MmePenguin, this is a request you gave me a little while ago, and since I felt like writing but didn't have much in my head, here you go. VissionKid, yours is next!

When YN and Smoker were twenty-one.

I walked through the hall of the dreary navy headquarters, wondering what chaotic mission I'd be sent on today, or if it would be a peaceful, but boring day of paperwork.

Either way I was losing.

I noticed my grey-haired comrade in the room over and ran in. "Hey Smokey, what's up?" I asked him, a wide smile on my face from seeing my slightly younger colleague. "Oh. Hey YN, what are you doing?" He asked, somewhat distracted with the pile of paper in front of him. "Going to get my mission today, you?" I asked, smirking. "All this garbage..." He said, gesturing to the chunk of paper. "Ah... I hope it pays off someday." I said, feeling sorry for him.

I thought for a moment. "What would you think... if I quit the navy." I said, leaning on the table. Smoker's eyes widened. "Why in the world would you do that?" He asked, glaring at me with furrowed brows. "I crave more out of life. Taking out low rank pirates and small operations suck, Smokey. I need more. I'm thinking after today I should quit and find something else to do with my life." I said, looking down at the ground. I looked back at Smoker and he looked a little shaken. "I- I don't know what I'd do if you left. We've been together from the start..." He said, looking down. "And it's been great, but I can't go on like this." I said, looking down at the grey-haired boy in his chair.

Smoker had a distant look on his face. "Smokey? Are you alright?" I asked, shaking his shoulder a little. "If that's what will make you happy, YN, then do it." He said, his voice wobbly. I gently held one of his cheeks and I turned his face towards mine. He had tears in his eyes. I leaned down and kissed his forehead. "Don't worry. I know we'll see each other again. Whether it be in a few months or years, we'll see each other again." I said, a small smile on my face.

Smoker quickly put his arms around me, pulling me into a tight hug. "I sure hope so..." He said, letting out a deep sigh.

Present, YN and Smoker are thirty-six. Fifteen years have passed since that day.

I woke up, the sun high in the sky and the birds singing. I walked out onto the ship deck and the ocean air hit me like a baseball bat.

I took a deep breath and looked over the side of the ship as the people behind me, my crew, ran around to try to get the ship to sail right. "YN! We have word that a navy ship is heading this way!" One of my people said. "You know what section they're from?" I asked, not threatened, as I had a three-hundred-thousand berry bounty on my head. "Uhm... no clue." He said, shying away a little. "Ah don't worry about it, ready the cannons, though. We want to be prepared if they shoot at us." I said, pointing up at the Jolly Roger flying high above our ship. "Yes Captain!" He yelled as he scuttled off below deck.

The navy ship eventually was to the point where it was right beside us. "Why aren't they firing at us..." I asked myself as I stared off the side of the boat at the navy ship. Just then, a familiar face came over to the side of the navy ship. "Smokey! Is that you?!" I asked, jumping over to the navy ship. The rest of the Marines backed away as Smoker still stood in front of me. "YN... When you said you wanted more out of life, this is not what I expected." He said, glaring at me. I let out a small chuckle. "I dunno what you expected when I said I'd see you again, then." I said, smirking.

Smoker let out a sigh then made direct eye contact with me. "Ignoring the fact you're a pirate, it has been a while since I've seen you." He said, a small smile coming across the tough looking man's face. I let out another small chuckle. "Yup! It has been awhile... fifteen years? Am I right?" I asked Smoker as I counted on my fingers. "Yeah... Too long if you ask me." He said, sighing. I gave him a stern look. "You're still Marine, you could come find me easily if you wanted." I said, ruffling his hair.

"That's probably the truth, but I'm actually here to give you an offer you can't refuse. Come back and re-join the Marines under me, Fleet Admiral Sakazuki has promised he'll drop your charges if you come back without a fight." Smoker said grabbing both my hands. I pulled them both away. "Smokey! What the hell! I'm happy as a pirate! It isn't ideal, but I've found my purpose!" I said, glaring at the grey-haired one. "But YN..." He said, visibly shaken again. "'But YN' what?" I asked him, mimicking what he said. "I couldn't live with myself if you got yourself captured and executed!" He said, putting both his hands on my shoulders.

I was shocked. After a moment, I let out a sigh. "I'm glad that you care that much about me, but there's more to life than the Marines." I said, putting my forehead on his. "Arrest me if you want, stab me or shoot me, but I'm happy not being a Marine, and I'm not going back." I said, giving him a small smile.

Smoker sighed, but returned my smile. "You're the same as ever, YN." He said, tears in his eyes again. I leaned in and hugged him tight. "I'm glad I got to see you again, YN. Sorry it was just me trying to convert you back the whole time." He said, sighing. "Ah don't worry about it, Smokey. Also, I promised, didn't I?" I asked him, laughing again. Smoker chuckled along with me. "Yeah, you did promise." He said, smirking.

I jumped back over to my ship. "Wait, what're you gonna tell your superiors? You just gonna tell them I got away?" I asked, smirking. "Tch, I'll figure something out." He said, thinking. "Alrighty then. Good luck, Smokey! Don't get yourself killed!" I yelled as my ship sailed off. "You too!" He yelled back, waving goodbye to me aswell.