014

"Someone's smiling at Nick's texts" Kai teased through the screen.

I turn up with my cheeks all red and I was biting my nail. I didn't even notice I was doing so until now.

"Shut up, we were joking around and it was funny" I scoffed, placing my phone down on my desk "Nick got a dog. Well his roommate's girlfriend got one and he lives with them so he basically got one"

"And he told you that?"

"Yeah I mean, he was really excited about having the dog so I expect him to tell me" I shrugged it off, only to see Kai visibly face palm onnthe other end.

"Daphne, here's what you do, go to the groupchat Nick made with Punz and Sylvee then text Sylvee asking her if Nick texted her about getting a new dog"

"I've never texted Sylvee, it will be weird" I scrunched up my face. Although I did love Sylvee as a friend and everything, I've never spoken to her personally and is genuinely scared of her finding me annoying. I mean, come on, it's Sylvee.

"Want me to do it? I have balls unlike you" Kai jumped from their chair and started to come closer to their pc, which, I'm not going to lie, scared the living shit out of me.

"KAI I SWEAR, I WANT HER TO LIKE ME"

"Fine but you have to realize that Nick is crushing hard on you" Kai pushed the edge of their des, causing them to move back on their chair "Now anyways, be honest with me Daph, what are you planning on doing with him?"

"Don't do this, Kai-"

"Look, he may have started as a coder but people meet their partners in unpredictable ways. Nick is my friend too, okay? He may be closer to you but I don't want him to get hurt because of my best friend's stupid decision" Kai said in a serious warning tone "He's really sweet and even if he doesn't like you, I won't allow you to hurt him or anyone in general"

The seriousness in Kai's voice was worrying. They've never been this serious since they found out what people in my school used to do to me.

Under their hard, funny shell covering them, they are really caring and would definitely put up a fight for someone if they needed it. That's why I love them a lot.

I don't know why, but I started to get an overwhelming feeling for something unfamiliar to me. Not knowing how to express that feeling, I started crying. It was my panic response to feelings I couldn't recognize.

"I don't know, Kai, I don't know what to do" The words spilling from my mouth weren't intentional. My thoughts were falling out of my head without my control at this rate. "Nick's a good friend and I don't wanna lose him because of something I do"

"I didn't mean to come out aggressive, I'm sorry.." Kai immediately apologized.

"It's not you, you're right. I'm ignoring certain thoughts that I don't wanna think. I don't know what I feel" I wiped my runny nose with the back of my hand and laid on my desk.

"I'm not discriminating you for figuring out your thoughts by  yourself but I don't want you to lie to me or to Nick. You can hide the full truth but please don't lie to him"

"He's not a friend to me anymore.. He's more but not a best friend, not a brother but I can't tell if it's that feeling or not" I slowly revealed. Kai wasn't surprised by what I said, they already got that it could've been that way.