042

For weeks, Nick had constantly visited my house with Kai. Bringing gifts for me all the time and sometimes even get one for Kai.

He'd bring us dinner, invite us to lunches and pay for it, and would even take us shopping. Kai loved it, but I knew he was doing it all for me.

"Daph, doorbell" Kai yells out from their room.

"Yeah, yeah, I got it" I went down the stairs and opened the door to Nick. How shocking, as if he doesn't come visit everyday.

"Okay, I know my gifts have been a little overboard-"

"Nick, you got me a new Louis Vuitton jacket knowing damn well we're in Florida and it's fucking hot here" I sighed, looking at the boy holding something behind his back. "Look I love all the gifts, but-"

"I got you a kitten!" He reveals behind him a tiny orange cat that looked like it was born just within the week. "It's yours and Kai's now!"

"KITTY" I snatched it from his hand and skipped my way into the living room while holding the kitten above my face "You're so fucking cute- I just wanna- Wait what's its name?"

"She's a she and she has no name yet because she's newly born like this week and my sister said that I could have one. I already have Patches and Peaches so I decided to give this one to you!"

"I WANNA NAME HER AUTUMN" I yell out, staring at the kitten. I've never owned a pet before other than that stray cat that I would constantly leave food out for when I was 9.

"Okay, chill. I'm scared you're gonna love her so much that you're gonna eat her"

"No you're scared I'll love her so much that I'll love her more than you" That was a bit uncalled for but the cat was so god damn cute I couldn't even think of anything other than the fact that I own a cat now.

"You little bitch, give me the cat back. It's gonna become Patches's sister"

"FUCK OFF, AUTUMN IS MINE" I don't know why I raised the cat high as if he couldn't reach it. My arms barely went past his head.

"You're actually adorable" He easily grabbed the cat back from me and started stroking her head slowly. "You know, being completely honest, I never got over you"

"Jeez what a shocker from someone who is trying to win me back since the first day I arrived in Florida"

"I mean I've been acting like shit around you but I still see you as my best friend and someone I adore a lot. Please don't tell Clay I called you my best friend, you're just the prettiest one"

I was so surprised at how quick Nick folded. I knew it was going to happen but it seemed so quick. Not that I hated it, but damn give me time to even furnish the house.

"You don't think you're going too quick?"

"Fuck, I'm doing it again aren't I? I'm sorry"

"No, don't apologize. What you're doing is really sweet and stuff. I just have a lot of things to do before I prioritize dating, you know? Like settling down in Florida and furnishing the house. I'll get there eventually" The situation I was in was quite similar to the reason we stopped talking in the first place. The only difference was that I knew how to handle it properly and I wasn't in a constant state of worry.

"I'll go slower, can I take you out to dinner tonight?"

"You buy us dinner every night anyways and have it with me and Kai. But yes, I'll have dinner with you tonight" I agreed. Although I was smiling on the outside, my insides were screaming with panic. I haven't been on a date in so long and my last one was also with Nick.