Coin Toss

(Author POV)

Tomura was torn.

Sensei sacrificed himself for him so that he could become the next ruler of the underworld, but why did it have to be Izuku that killed him? His ally, his friend, his Player 2. Tomura wondered how Izuku felt about this. The way he struggled to stand after the fight indicated he was in pain, but there wasn't a scratch on him. Sure there was a bit of dirt and debris that may have covered whatever scars there may have been, but Tomura knows better. He was suffering, but from what? Was he guilty? Was he angry? Was he scared?

Izuku still planned to keep their business relationship alive, even if Tomura hated him... but, he didn't. Tomura didn't hate him. Did he punch a hole in the wall? Yes. Did he scream when Sensei died? Absolutely. And yet, he didn't hate him. He couldn't, and he didn't know why. Maybe it was the strong understanding between the two? The pronounced wisdom that the other held? The feeling of needing someone like Izuku in his life? Even if Tomura's goal to destroy society hadn't changed, he felt lost without Sensei there to guide him. And he knew that it was Izuku's fault for that- oh, he knew- but he still felt... so unsure.

The rest of the Leauge, however, was not sitting around and waiting for orders. They knew what had to be done, and they knew the consequences of procrastinating it. Nobody had time to grieve, because without a king to sit on his throne of blood, there would be no one to control the underworld and stop villains from running rampant and causing just as much chaos for the villains as they do the heroes. That being said, they needed recruits. They needed an army.

Tomura didn't trust just anyone, so he wasn't fond of having new annoyances in his ranks. However, they were also in the right here. They did need an army, but how would they know that the recruits won't betray him? Player 2 would know. He may be a noob at video games, but he wasn't new to mind games. And Tomura saw how easily he adapted to pixel games (because that poor child grew up in the sheltered life of long-forgotten pre-quirk era games) so he could find out whether these new party members were worth looking into.

Izuku tossed the coin first, after all. It was time to toss it back.

. . .

Izuku spent all of this Sunday morning rummaging through files that Tomura sent him. It was a tad villainous of him to help recruit an evil army, but Tomura asked for a probing (analysis) and that wasn't really against the rules. He would most likely have to create a file on these villains anyways, so it was better the get it over with now than suffer later. And what better excuse than paying back a favor to a friend?

(Can he even still call himself that? That may have been the most disgusting and evil human alive, but it was still Tomura's sensei. Tomura was grieving and it was all his fault. He doesn't regret killing All For One, he only regrets not being there for Tomura afterward.)

Overhaul was a candidate that Twice had wanted to recruit, but Izuku had already gotten rid of him, and the evidence against him landed him in jail. So there was no contacting him, meaning there was no recruiting him. Nezu and Nighteye were already plotting a raid on his base, but Izuku still wasn't finished collecting all the evidence necessary to convince the judge to grant a warrant. Overhaul was going to regret hurting his new baby sister when Izuku was through with him.

Fortunately, Tomura wasn't very fond of the man either and didn't mind the file being dismissed.

But the other recruits were interesting. The Meta Liberation Army was merely a ploy, that much was obvious. And to top it off, an entire city was in on it. The police, the heroes, the civilians, everyone. An entire city of quirkist delinquents all serving a mafia. Izuku was worried about his presence now. There is no way they haven't heard of him and his quirklessness, and he doubted they liked him any. He would have to tread carefully on this one.