Ch 4: The Man

"I'm so sick of running as fast as I can, wondering if I'd get there quicker if I was a man"

I scrolled through Riven's profile as my door swung open causing me to drop my phone.

"Can you knock!" I said.

"Your mum is looking for you" Gwen smiled.

"Great" I said.

I jumped off my bed, walking towards the door. I walked out of the suite and made my way to my mother's office. I looked at her assistant, smiling before walking to her door. I knocked before entering, hearing an 'enter'. I flattened out my skirt upon entering, I always made sure I looked presentable in my mothers presence.

"Mum" I said.

"My darling" she smiled.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" I asked.

"Silva is requesting your presence with the Specialists" she said.

"Really?" I smiled.

"It is the first day of classes, as you know, so you're first class of the day will be spent as Silva's assistant" she said.

I jumped with excitement as she honed her eyes on me.

"You are still a fairy, don't forget that" she said.

"I'm well aware" I said. "It's kind of hard to forget."

I walked over to her desk, kissing her cheek before walking out. I walked out to the bastion with a huge smile on my face as Silva sighed.

"You're late" he snapped.

"From the looks of it you haven't started class yet" I said.

"Because you're late" he said.

I punched his arm, lightly before smiling.

"Oh, lighten up" I said.

"Twenty minutes late" Sky chimed in.

"Whatever" I said.

"Alright, class, many of you have probably heard of these two beside me" Silva said. "This is Briar Dowling, considered to be one of the most powerful fairies of this generation, if not the most powerful."

I looked at all the faces of the Specialists, when my eyes landed on Riven. My chest tightened as he winked. I looked away not giving any indication that I cared.

"The class will be split and half will be training with each of them" he continued.

"Isn't she just a fairy?" One of them asked.

I laughed as I looked at the tall ginger boy who said that.

"I want him to be in my half" I said.

"I don't think that's a good idea" Sky whispered.

Silva ignored Sky's words, nodding. I smiled as Silva then split up the students. I tried not to smile when I realized Riven was put onto my team. I clasped my hands, smiling at all the students that were in my half.

"You, Red" I said, pointing to the boy. "Step onto the platform."

He chuckled as we both stepped onto the platform.

"No offense, fairy, but I don't want to hurt you" he said.

I looked in his mind, smiling.

"You won't" I said. "Riv, get us each two sticks."

Riven shook his head as he did as I asked, or told. I twisted the sticks in my hand as I nodded for him to come at me. He truly was taller than I realized. He had about seven or eight inches inches on me.