Ch 6: It's Nice To Have A Friend

"Wanna hang out? Yeah, sounds like fun"

I sat on the other side of my mothers desk as she wrote on a stack of papers. Silva stood over her, watching her as I sighed.

"Something bothering you?" My mother asked.

"I'm confused as to why I'm here if neither of you are going to say anything" I said.

"You haven't been practicing?" She asked.

I shook my head as both her and Silva look disappointed. I crossed my arms, looking to the floor.

"I don't really see a reason" I said.

"You can always learn something" Silva said. "You are a very powerful fairy, Briar. You cannot be cocky and think you are the best because of this."

"I never said I was the best" I said.

"I've known you long enough to know when you are lying" he said.

I looked at my mother as she tilted her head.

"Fine" I said.

I stood up, walking out of the room, slamming the door to her office. I ignored everyone in the hall as I walked outside. I yelled out in anger, throwing a ball of fire. I looked around as the Specialists outside stared at me.

"Fuck off" I said.

I walked towards the Barrier, taking a moment before walking through it. I found myself alone in the middle of the woods as I threw balls of fire. Tears were falling down my face as I created a fire around me on the ground, holding my hand out. I manipulated the fire, sending it in front of me and to the nearest tree. It burst into flames as I watched it burn. I heard a branch crack, throwing a fire ball just as I turned around.

"Holy shit!" Riven yelled. "Are you crazy!"

"What the hell are you doing out here!" I said.

I wiped my tears as he walked towards me.

"Hey, are you crying? Are you okay? Are you hurt?" He asked.

"I'm fine" I said.

He looked around my face and body to see any sign of an injury.

"I came out here to be alone" I said.

"You do know it's kind of dangerous to be out here alone?" He said.

"I don't really care" I said.

I plopped down on the ground as he did the same.

"My mum and Silva expect so much of me" I said. "I feel like I'm failing both of them."

He stayed silent, letting me talk.

"I feel like they're hiding something from me. I'd like to think at least my mum would tell me but it just feels like she's not being truthful. Even if I wanted to her mind is too powerful I wouldn't be able to penetrate it" I said. "Like why does it matter if I'm practicing? What am I training for? What am I fighting?"

"She probably just wants you to be ready" he said.

"But for what? I don't think I'm cut out to be a hero" I said.

"Nobody expects you to be" he said.

"But they do, I know they do!" I said. "You don't know what it's like to see inside everyones head, to hear their voices. I lose control when I'm overwhelmed and I can hear everyone talking about everything. They talk about what they're going to eat for lunch, who they think is cute and about me."

He put his hand on my arm as my breathing slowed down.

"I lead everyone to believe that I'm perfect. That I have my powers under control and I don't. Well, I have my fire abilities down but the mind I just.. I just lose it" I said.

"Have you talked to your mum about it?" He asked.

"I've only talked to Sky about it and he thinks I'm being dramatic" I said. "Maybe I am."

"I don't think you are" he said.

"Sometimes I wish I wasn't her daughter" I said. "She trained me harder than any other fairy here."

"You don't mean that" he said.

I let my head drop, realizing I had actually say that out loud.

"I love her but sometimes I just wish I was normal" I said.

"Normal is boring" he said. "I like a little chaos."

I laughed as he stood up. He held his hand out for me to take, I reluctantly took it as he pulled me up.

"I was on my way to training when I saw you come out here" he said.

"Oh" I said. "Of course, you should probably get going."

"Want to help me spar?" He asked.

I nodded, following him back towards the Barrier and to the bastion.