Ch 19: I Almost Do

"And I just want to tell you, it takes everything in me not to call you"

I stared at Riven's contact, staring at the picture. It was us after

I stared at Riven's contact, staring at the picture. It was us in bed after a long couple hours of training. I remembered he didn't want to leave bed but he was already late. He got chewed out by Silva for nearly ten minutes.

I went back and forth whether I should just text him. I missed his random texts throughout the day. I went to type something but before my thumbs touched the screen, Sky's contact popped up.

"Hey" I said.

"Silva wants us at the bastion" he said.

"I'll be there in ten" I said.

I hung up the call before changing out of my pajamas, which I have been in nearly the whole day. I was on my way to meet Sky and Silva at the bastion when I saw Bloom sitting alone in the canteen. I walked towards the table, sitting opposite to her.

"Hey" I said.

She forced a smile as I tilted my head.

"You know you can talk to me" I said. "I'm not your suite mates, I won't judge you. Not saying they will but I know Terra can be a lot and from the few instances I've met Aisha, she's a goody goody."

She laughed before fully turning her body towards me.

"Do you ever wonder who your dad is?" She asked.

"Not really" I said. "My mum told me he wanted nothing to do with her when she fell pregnant and therefore me too. I don't want to know somebody who doesn't want to know me."

"Poetic" she said.

"I guess" I laughed. "But seriously, I have no reason to know him. Alls I know is he had to of been a hell of a Fire Fairy."

"So, you're one of a kind?" She asked.

"Technically, yes. I'm the first every fairy to be born of two elements. There are some instances where fairies are able to manipulate other elements but they are not born with it therefore it is not something they will always have" I said. "It's actually quite fascinating when you think about it, using the mind and fire are like second nature to me. I don't necessarily have to think about it to use them, it just kind of happens."

"Ms. Dowling has been trying to help me with my magic" she said. "I know you have a lot going on but could you maybe help me?" She asked.

"My mother is a very good teacher, I've seen her help countless fairies who couldn't control their magic. I think you'll do better with her than me" I said. "But I could give you a few pointers when I have a chance."

She smiled as I went to look at the clock but found Riven and Beatrix walking together. I wanted to look away but couldn't. I felt as if my heart was about to explode.

"I'm sorry, Bloom but.. I have to go" I said.

I quickly walked down the hall, leaning against the wall. I closed my eyes, trying to hold back the tears that were already forming in my eyes. My sadness turned to anger as my hands began to heat up. I realized what I was doing, looking down at the small flame in my hand.

I took a few deep breaths before walking outside. Silva and Sky were waiting for me on one of the platforms as I avoided eye contact. I walked up the steps, finally looking up at them.

"Were you crying?" Sky asked.

"No" I snapped.

"Bri" he said.

"I don't want to hear it" I said.

"This isn't a good idea" he said. "Silva?"

"Briar, you are upset" Silva said. "I think you should take the week off from training."

I jumped off the platform, walking away.

"This is bullshit" I said.

"Hey!" He yelled. "You can go straight to your mothers office!"

"Whatever" I said.

I wasn't paying much attention to where I was going until I walked into someone, knocking their books out of their hands.

"Fuck, I'm sorry" I said.

I held my hand out, levitating the books back to their hands. I looked up to see a smiling Aaron.

"It's fine" he said. "Hey, I've been meaning to ask, I know you're really good at history and I'm really bad at it. Would you be able to help me with this upcoming quiz?"

"Yeah" I smiled.

"Sweet" he said. "I'm pretty busy with training but I could Thursday?"

"Thursday works" I said.

"Awesome, thanks, Briar" he said.

I smiled before walking away. Once I got to the suite, Gwen was smiling at me from the couch.

"What?" I said.

"Heard you got a date" she said.

"I don't have a date" I said.

"That's not what Oliver said" she said.

"Oh my- is this about Aaron? I'm literally just helping him with his history quiz" I said. "Wait, that literally just happened, how do you already know?"

"I have my ways" she said.

"Whatever" I said.

I walked to my room, closing the door. I went to lay in bed as I watched my curtains blow in the wind. I ended up falling asleep for the rest of the day, waking up at three am. I sat in the dark, trying to go back to sleep. But alls I could think about was what I wanted to do. Did I want to continue this? Was I going to keep ignoring Riven? Or was I going to be mature and talk to him?