Ch 50: Dear Reader

One Month Later

"When you aim at the devil, make sure you don't miss"

I stood in front of Gwen's headstone, kneeling down to put my forehead to it. The past couple years had been chaotic, I felt like there was never a time where I could truly be at peace. And now I finally was at peace.

Alexsander had taken care of the X-Men like he agreed to, I think he killed them, not that I cared. My mother led the attack against Wanda, formally placing her under arrest for the crimes she committed nearly nineteen years ago. She was placed in stasis in an unknown location only known to my mother and Silva. 

Lorna was given custody of both Billy and Tommy who wanted nothing to do with me after helping my mother arrest Wanda. I didn't mind it, I wasn't attached to them like I was with Bloom.

My mother wasn't on board with what I had in mind for Alexsander but after I resurrected Jean I placed them in a prison of sorts. There was a small town in rural Idaho that was the perfect place to put them. I was able to create a spell that kept anyone from going in or out, a place where they would be able to spend the rest of their days together.

The broken pieces of my life began putting themselves back together. Now that I had brought my mother back I couldn't leave Alfea. The truth of what truly happened came out, and my mother was reinstated as the head mistress of Alfea.

"I think you should eat something" Riven said.

I turned around as he walked towards me

"I think I'm fine" I said.

"I think you're lying" he said.

He walked towards me as I smiled. I put my hand on his face, my smile faltering.

"How's Sky?" I asked.

"Being Sky" he said.

"He lost Bloom.." I said. "..again after I said I could bring her back."

"Don't blame yourself" he said.

"It's hard not to" I said. "I got my happy ending but Sky didn't."

I removed my hand from his face as Silva walked towards us. He motioned for me to follow him as Riven and I followed him back to the school. Riven broke apart from us, going to find Sky.

"Everything okay?" I asked.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

In the last month I hadn't talked to anyone besides Riven and my mother. Sky had distanced himself off while I avoided leaving my room at any cost.

"I'm as okay as I can be" I said.

We walked to my mothers office as I sat opposite to her. She smiled as I tilted my head, confused.

"Have you put any thought as to what you want to do?" She asked.

"I'm not leaving Alfea" I said. "I'm not leaving you."

"We cannot rely on the Solarian army when threats invade Alfea.. Queen Luna made that very clear" she said. "Saul came up with the idea of an elite task force to protect the barriers for any future threats. Of course our Specialists are very capable of defending us.. but the bottom line is we cannot predict what will come at us in the future."

"And I'm guessing you want me to lead the task force?" I asked.

"You are the most powerful fairy alive and one of the most powerful witches" she said. "Saul taught you to be a formidable fighter.. you are the best person to do so, not just because you are my daughter."

"And the charges that are levied against me?" I asked.

"Queen Luna has pardoned you" she said.

I nodded, glancing at Silva.

"We don't expect you to be okay, Briar.. at least not now" he said.

"I wanted to bring Bloom back so bad" I said. "My own best friend betrayed me.. considering everything that has happened I'm just glad I got my mum back."

I looked back to her as she smiled.

"I don't think Sky is doing well" I said. "He won't talk to me."

"You and Sky have been through a lot.." Silva said. 

"But I am the one who came out with what I wanted" I said. "He's my brother and he won't even talk to me. I don't know what to do."

"He just needs time" my mother said. 

I sighed, looking down as I began playing with my fingers. 

"I know there are consequences for playing with death" I said. "What do you think they are?"

"I don't know" she said. 

"I should probably get some rest, I've barely slept" I said. 

I stood up, walking out of her office as I looked around feeling as if someone was looking at me. I walked down the halls, the feeling growing deeper until I got to my suite. 

I walked into my room, seeing Riven sitting on the edge of my bed. I smiled as he stood up. He held his hand out as I graciously took it, pulling me towards him.

"My lover boy" I whispered.

"I love you, Briar" he said.

"I know" I smirked.

"I mean it" he said. "I am so proud of you."

"Don't get too soft on me, Riv" I said. 

He kissed the tip of my nose as I smiled. I pushed his hair back, examining his face further before being pulled into his eyes. 

"I am so.. incredibly in love with you, Riven" I said. 

I placed my lips onto his as a deep kiss formed. A minute passed by when I got an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. I pulled apart from him, slowly turning around as a portal appeared. A woman I had never seen before walked through as I grabbed Riven's hand. 

"Briar Dowling, you play with death, a debt must be paid" she said. 

Another person walked through the portal as my eyes shot wide. I let go of Riven's hand as a small smile formed on my lips.