Ch 35: Only The Young

"You did all that you could do, the game was rigged, the ref got tricked, the wrong ones think they're right"

I sat in a chair outside of what was my mothers office that had Rosalind's name engraved on it.

"There's water in there but if you need anything more medicinal" Beatrix said.

She grabbed a flask from a drawer on her desk, setting it atop it.

"I'm good, thanks" I said.

I glanced at Beatrix, feeling her eyes on me.

"No matter what, killing Rosalind was the best thing you've ever done" she said. "She deserved it."

The door opened as I stood up. Bavani was the first to walk in as she ignored my presence. Queen Luna was after her then Stella and Aisha.

"If you'll excuse us" Queen Luna said. "Won't be a moment."

Beatrix and Stella had a small exchange before Beatrix left. I let out a shaky breath as Stella set down her folders to look at me.

"Alright" she said.

She examined my outfit as I looked at Aisha.

"You know you don't have to do this" I said.

"You're Blooms sister, and an honorary Winx suite member" she said.

"Looks like we have good ole fashioned Briar back" Stella said. "The boots are a little out of taste, I assume they're Gwendolyns?"

"Yeah" I sighed.

"Look, my mum can be tricky but I am her daughter, and I can be tricky too" she said. "So, we have a few layers of defense."

She grabbed one of the folders she sat down, opening it to look at the contents.

"I've been reading up on settled law so she can't trip me up. We'll get proof of Rosalind's crimes from Terra and Flora. And our coup de grâce? A prominent Solarian and unimpeachable character witness."

"Let's not oversell me here" Aisha said.

"Overselling is the name of the game" she said. "Your family's responsible for supplying energy for half of the realm. My mum cannot piss them off. Okay? It's enough to make her listen. Let's just hope Terra and Flora come through."

I nodded as I took deep breaths. I wasn't one to be nervous for anything. I rarely ever did get nervous. But in this moment I felt like I could throw up. All the times I had been nervous my mother was right there for me. And here I was, on trial for murdering my mothers murder.

Bavani opened the door to the office, motioning for us to come in. Stella nodded to me as I walked in first. There was two Solarian guards on either side of the office door with Bavani going behind the desk beside Queen Luna.

"Apologies for the delay but as you can imagine we're quite busy at the moment" she said.

She looked up from the desk, looking to the seat beside me as I sat down.

"Thank you for your help, Stella, but this is a closed tribunal" she said.

"I'm acting as Briar's advocate" Stella said.

"Admirable but in a closed tribunal advocates are not permitted" she said.

"I realize that. However, you did permit Arthur to act as advocate when his companion found himself in a financial scandal, so.." Stella said handing a paper to her mother. "I assume I'd be afforded the same privilege."

"Briar, are you aware of how serious the charges are against you?" She asked.

"I am" I said.

"And this is your choice? To have my daughter as your advocate?" She asked.