Ch 34: Delicate

"My reputation's never been worse, so, you must like me for me"

I sat staring at the wall as Silva talked to everyone. 

"Now I trust you all understand the gravity of the situation. So, until we are sure about how we're going to proceed, nobody can know any of the details of what happened at the graveyard today" Silva said. "Nobody can know that any of the fairies at this school no longer control the Dragon Flame."

"Sorry I know it's a big deal Briar kill.." Terra said. "That Rosalind's dead. But in my humble opinion, it's a bigger deal that Rosalind murdered Miss Dowling."

"Yes, but the only thing we know for certain is the first part of that sentence" he said. 

I looked up as Sky brought Silva a small box. 

"Now, I have made an agreement with Bavani that should keep Briar out of confinement" he said. 

"What are those?" Millie asked. 

"Torture devices to stop Briar from using her magic" Aisha said. "The crystal is why she lost control."

"Everyone in this room knows Briar is the only fairy here who can truly control her magic" Gwen said. "She's not a threat."

"If she just discharges her magic back into the crystal, she's not a risk anymore" she said. 

"I'm afraid those are the terms" Silva said. "As of right now with Rosalind dead, Briar is the most powerful fairy alive which makes her dangerous."

I glanced at what was in Silva's hands, recognizing them from when the Solarian's took me in for questioning. 

"It's okay" I said. "I did it. I'm not gonna fight."

I held my arms out as Silva hesitantly brought the bracelets to my arms. They wrapped around my arms as I winced from the pain. 

"I'm sorry, Briar" he whispered. "Bavani will convene a tribunal to determine the consequences of Briar's actions. Queen Luna will preside over."

I leaned against the wall as Bloom sat beside me. 

"So, are we expected to go on as if everything is normal?" Musa asked. 

"Everything is not normal. Queen Luna is making an address" Silva said. 

He pressed the button on a machine as a hologram of Queen Luna appeared. 

"Citizens of Solaria, I have tragic news. Rosalind Hale, headmistress of Alfea, is dead" she said. "It is a grave loss, not only for the students of Alfea but for the entire realm. Rosalind was one of the bravest fairies the Otherworld has ever seen. Respected by her peers. Feared by her enemies. But fear will not dictate how we respond. There is a guilty party, and they will be brought to justice."

I was expecting her to say my name, baffled at who she claimed was the killer. 

"Blood Witches" she said. 

My head snapped up, looking to her hologram. 

"Their hatred of our kind is well known. But a heinous act such as this is unprecedented, carried out by their leader, Sebastian Valtor" she said. "Every Blood Witch following him is considered an enemy of the crown. We will use the full weight of our military against them. And make no mistake.. this is an act of war."

The next day I laid in bed, staring at the wall as Riven walked into my room. 

"I didn't hear you come in" I said. 

"Figured. I've been knocking for five minutes" he said. 

He kneeled at the side of my bed so our faces were now leveled. 

"I'm sorry I wasn't there for you" he said. "I wish you would've told me you were meeting him."

"To be fair I didn't want to" I said. "But the Dragon Flame was what he wanted. Even if he got just Bloom's half he wouldn't be able to truly do anything with it. So, he needed me there too."

He sighed, getting into bed next to me. He went under the covers as I rolled over to my other side. 

"How'd you sleep?" He asked. 

He pushed my hair back as I moved closer to him. 

"Every time I close my eyes I'm back at the graveyard" I said. "It's like a big blur. I feel like I'm trying to recall what happened but I can't see anything. The words, my actions.. I can't remember it."

"I'm sorry, Bee" he said. 

"Rosalind attacked you and you acted in self defense" Stella said. 

I jolted up as Stella opened up my blinds. Gwen walked in after her as they sat at my desk. 

"Hi?" I said. 

"Sebastian took advantage of you in a vulnerable moment. He reveled a horrific truth that Rosalind killed your mother in cold blood. Confronted with her crime, Rosalind attacked you. You acted in self defense" she said. 

"Makes sense" I said. 

"Of course it does" she said. "And I intend to prove it to the tribunal. Solarian law is Byzantine, but though lucky for you I spent many long nights with many tedious tutors studying it so.."

"You're a lot of things, Bri" Gwen said. "But you're not a murderer. Not even close, you wouldn't hurt a fly."

"Terra and Flora will find proof of your mothers murder to support your case" she said. 

"Why are you guys so willing to help me?" I asked. "You're Bloom's friends, not mine."

"When I first met you I thought you were a raging bitch" she said. "But as time went on we became sort of friends. You disliked me, hated me even, and yet that day on the beach you still chose to heal me. Everyone at this school loves you. You've helped each of us in different ways, even if you may not have realized it."

I forced a smile, glancing at the bracelets on my arms. 

"So, what happens if your mother disagrees?" I asked. 

"A lot of things. Minor confinement to banishment" she said. 

I dropped back to the bed as Riven put his hand to my face. 

"You should go, Silva probably needs you" I said. 

His eyes scanned over my face as the realization hit me. This might be the last time I see him. 

"Do you mind if we have a moment?" He asked. 

Both Gwen and Stella left my room, closing the door. We both sat up as I crashed my lips onto his. 

"If this is the last time I see you.." I held back tears as I choked on my own words. 

"Don't say that" he said. "I told you I never wanted to lose you. I can't lose you."

"It might happen, Riv" I said. 

"I love you, Briar" he said. "I will always love you. If they put you to confinement, I will wait for you. I don't care how long it takes."

"Go" I said. "I can't say goodbye to you."

"I'm not leaving you until I have to" he said. "This could be my last time seeing you for a long time. I'm not going to waste it."

The entirety of my day and night was spent with Riven in my room. He tried to take my focus off the tribunal, so did Millie and Gwen who brought in treats every hour to try and get me to eat. No matter how hard Riven tried I couldn't stop thinking about it. 

Throughout the night I tossed and turned. Not being able to fully fall asleep, even with Riven's arms around me. I always felt safest with my body in his grasp, like I was untouchable. But tonight.. I felt vulnerable. 

I wasn't ready for what was to come but my actions had consequences.