Ch 24: Mean

"You have pointed out my flaws again, as if I don't already see them"

I sat in the cell with my back against the wall. I lifted up my nylon shirt to see dry blood all over my stomach and faint wounds that were now infected. I tried touching one, wincing at the pain. Rosalind walked towards the cell bars as I looked up, pulling my shirt down.

"You are quite fascinating" she said. "Too bad Farah wasn't honest with you."

"And you will be?" I asked.

"You wish to know who your real parents are?" She asked.

"Where's my mother?" I asked.

"The one who lied to you your whole life?" She asked. "I knew she didn't have what it took to be a mother, that's why I took Bloom to the First World. I mean clearly, look at you, she didn't even tell you what you are."

"Don't talk about her!" I yelled.

"Angry? Good" she said. "She was my most promising student, a powerful fairy indeed. She had too much pride to admit when she was wrong. She was not your mother, Briar."

"Stop talking about her!" I said.

I balled up my fists as a surge of energy appeared out of nowhere.

"She was a coward" she said. "She could not do what was needed!"

"Stop!" I yelled.

I stood up throwing my arms out to my sides as lightning sprung out of my hands causing the walls on either side of me to crumble. The bracelets around my wrists popped off as I looked back to Rosalind.

She did nothing but smile as she walked away, snapping her fingers as the door to the cell opened. I watched as Sky ran around the corner, throwing his arms around my body.

"Did they hurt you?" He asked.

He examined my body as I shook my head.

"I'm fine" I whispered.

Riven pushed past Sky grabbing my body as if his life depended on it. His hand held my head as I closed my eyes resting my forehead in his chest.

"What did they say to you?" Sky asked.

Riven loosened his grip on me as I pulled apart from him.

"Queen Luna questioned me about my mum so did Andreas" I said. "I looked inside their minds to see if they knew and were just playing dumb. But they really don't know where she is."

Both Sky and Riven looking at the non existent walls.

"Did you do that?" Riven asked.

"I'm pretty sure those bracelets were supposed to prevent me from using my magic" I said. "But they didn't."

"They are supposed to" he said. "Those are what they put on Beatrix and she couldn't use her magic with them on."

"Where's Bloom?" I asked.

"She went home to tell her parents the truth" Sky said.

"Gwen and Millie?" I asked.

"You've been in here for days and you're more worried about other people?" Riven asked.

"Are they okay?" I asked.

"They've been worried like hell about you, we all have" he said. "But they're fine."

I began walking out of the cell as they walked on either side of me, each giving me worrying glances.

"You probably need to eat" Sky said.

I stopped walking once we got to my suite.

"I'm sure you'd like to go back to Beatrix, Riv" I said.

I turned around to Riven as guilt took over his body.

"Don't do this, not now" Riven said. "I'm worried about you."

"I'll be fine" I said.

I walked through the door, slamming it as Millie and Gwen ran towards me. They nearly knocked me over as I embraced them.

"You have no idea how good it is to see you guys" I said.

Gwen looked at my arms that showed dry blood and marks from the bracelets.

"Riven said they took you in for questioning?" She said. "Did they do anything to you?"

"They didn't torture me" I laughed.

They didn't as in Queen Luna, Andreas or Rosalind. I didn't want them to worry as I changed the subject.

"But they put bracelets on me to restrain my magic. It didn't work though" I said.

"He was really worried about you" Millie said.

"I made him leave the suite. Alls I could feel was his fear and Sky's guilt when they were here" Gwen said. "Sky felt like it was his fault for not fighting hard enough for them not to take you in like you were a prisoner."

"To be fair he did fight like five Solarian guards after they took you" she added.

"It's nobody's fault, not even mine" I said. "Has there been any word about my mum?"

"They're saying she ran off to the mountains" Millie said.

"They're lying. My mother wouldn't run" I said. "She'd be fighting for her students."

I looked around at the room. All of the furniture I had burned was now gone. The walls were still burned as my heart ached at the sight.

"Everybody's been talking about you" Gwen said. "They all know about you transforming and using other elements."

"Great" I sighed.

"We're also moving rooms so they can obviously fix this one up" she said. "Almost everything is moved except small things like the pictures."

I zoned out as flashes of Rosalind trying to enter my mind appeared. The pain and energy to keep her out was overwhelming, it nearly caused me to pass out. Andreas wasn't as barbaric as she was but still hurt me emotionally.

"Are you sure you're okay?" She asked.

"Yeah" I said.

Millie got a bunch of snacks from the vending machine, making me eat every single thing she got. I was hungry but the thought of eating also made me nauseous. When they got too preoccupied decorating the new suite, I slipped away.

I walked to Stone Circle in silence as students looked at me, whispering to their friends. Their words didn't bother me, the stares didn't either. I ignored them as I continued to Stone Circle. Once I got there I began taking off my gear.

I took a deep breath as I looked at my hands. I focused on my magic as my left hand began crackling with lighting and my right had a ball of fire in the center. I threw the fire ball, smiling before holding my hand out as the lightning shot out of it, burning a tree.

"Holy shit" I whispered.

I kneeled down to the ground, putting my hand to the damp grass. I closed my eyes, trying to focus on the water. I opened my eyes up as droplets of water levitated in the air. I slightly tilted my head as they formed into one large water bubble. I smiled right before it exploded.

I coughed up water as I was now drenched. I stood there, in soaking wet clothes, laughing. The realization of where I was hit me like a truck. I slowly fell to the ground as I screamed out in pain. Tears clouded my eye sight as I held my body, crying out.

My mother was gone and I was alone..