Ch 21: The Way I Loved You

"He can't see the smile I'm faking, and my heart's not breaking, cause I'm not feeling anything at all"

Aaron and I walked down the down to the canteen as I found myself staring at him, well his body. He was a Specialist, you could tell by his body. He had gear on and his hair was messier than it normally was. And yet a small part of me felt guilty. 

"Silva has been working us relentlessly since he got better" he said. "Also surprised you didn't get chewed out by your mum."

"Oh I did. Sky and I both did" I said. "But I could tell she was proud too so it was worth it anyway."

I glanced at him feeling his anxiousness.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Fine" he said. "I'm assuming you know I'm lying."

"I-" I trailed off. "Sorry. I'm trying to be better about it."

"It's okay" he said.

I could tell he felt uncomfortable with the fact I was inside his mind. I kicked myself out to avoid any conflict.

Since the kiss we've spent a lot of time together but haven't again since then. I was too nervous to or maybe it just felt wrong. The kiss wasn't bad but a part of me wished it was someone else.

"Briar!" Bloom said.

"Bloom" I said. "I presume you need something?"

"Can't a girl just talk to her friend?" She said.

"What do you need help with?" I asked.

She glanced at Aaron, making me realize I had forgotten he was there.

"Um, I'll meet you at the assembly?" I said.

"Yeah" he said.

He walked away as I turned back to Bloom. She took her phone out, showing me a picture of a woman next to my mother.

"Have you ever seen her?" She asked.

I recognized the woman from when I was hearing voices. I had seen her for only a moment but I never forgot her face. 

"I have no idea. Am I supposed to?" I asked.

"Your moms been lying to me about her. She said that she was the old headmistress before her. That's the woman I saw in my vision" she said.

I wasn't surprised my mother was lying but at the same time it made no sense to lie about it. 

"Why would my mum lie? How does that benefit her?" I said.

"So you don't know her?" She asked.

"I had to of been a baby when that picture was taken. I would have no recollection of that woman" I said.

"I just want to know who my parents are and this woman could help me. If you had the chance to get answers about your father wouldn't you want them?" She asked.

"Listen, I don't know how it feels to not know who your parents are. My mum has been by my side my entire life, my biggest supporter. I could've cared less about who my father was" I said. "I can help you look for records but that's as far as I can do."

"We could check the East Wing. That's where I found the photos stashed away. Maybe there's something there about her" she said. "We should go now."

"You do know the assembly is mandatory?" I said.

"And something tells me you didn't want to go anyway" she said.

"You may be right" I said.

We walked towards the East Wing, I followed her down to where she found the pictures of the woman she was looking for. I went to open a door when it slammed shut. Sky stood there as I smacked his arm.