Ch 31: Afterglow

"I'm the one who burned us down, but it's not what I meant, sorry that I hurt you"

A week had passed by since the ambush at the abandoned ruin. I got scolded out by Rosalind for what she said was being careless, and I mean she wasn't entirely wrong. I didn't like Beatrix but I wasn't going to let her die either. I also wasn't going to let Riven and Sky go alone with no back up. 

In the past week I had been secluded from everyone besides Bloom and Rosalind. Professor Leroy had kept me in the greenhouse, keeping a close eye on me. I had bite marks all over my body that were mostly healed by now. 

I very vaguely remembered that night. The last thing I remembered was the first scraper biting at me, everything else was a big blur. Both Musa and I had been attacked by scrapers but only one of us lost our magic. I was shocked when I realized I still had mine but Rosalind was not. Apparently the Dragon Flame protected my magic from ever being taken. 

I heard Sky and Riven each day try and get in throughout the days. Each time Professor Leroy stood her ground and shoo'd the boys away. She was nicer than I had expected but I did miss Professor Harvey. His circumstances for leaving were not known to the student body. I felt terrible for Terra but I also felt for Musa. 

Alls I knew was that she lost her magic. And that the Blood Witch was Sebastian. I should've figured from what I gathered he hated Rosalind and Andreas with a passion, not that he's the only one but it was much sinister. 

"Are you sure you're okay?" Professor Leroy asked. "It's okay to not be okay."

"I actually feel fine. And I'm not lying about it for once" I said. "Does that mean I can go now?" 

"Nice try" she said. 

I looked up as Riven ran in. 

"What have I said!" She snapped. 

"Rosalind wants Briar to report to her office. She sent me" he said. 

Professor Leroy pondered on whether he was telling the truth. 

"Very well" she said. "Briar, you are free to go."

I nodded, jumping off the cot. I followed Riven out of the greenhouse as he smirked. 

"What?" I asked. 

"She didn't send me" he said. "Figured you'd wanna get out of there."

"I was going to go mad being there a second longer" I said. 

I looked around the bastion to see Specialists staring at me. My eyes eventually met Riven's as he smiled. 

"What?" I said. 

"Bee, I know it's-" I cut him off with a kiss. 

He wrapped his arms around my waist as my hands were entangled in his hair. After a few seconds we broke apart as I put my hand on his cheek. 

"Thank you" I whispered. 

"For?" He asked. 

"Saving me" I said. 

"You told me to leave. I wasn't going to let the love of my life die" he said. "I chucked you over my shoulder and got the fuck out."

"Oh? You chucked me?" I smiled. "How romantic."

"Next time I'll be more gentle next time I'm saving you from fucking monsters" he said. 

"I told you to leave?" I asked. 

"You don't remember?" He asked. 

I shook my head as he tightened his grip on me. 

"You told me to save Musa instead" he said. "I remember you always saying you didn't think you were cut out to be a hero but I think you're the hero the Otherworld needs. You were being bitten alive and you were more worried about someone else."

"I don't remember that" I whispered. 

"You lost a lot of blood, I thought you were going to die. I barely slept" he said. "Everyones been pretty shook up. You think you are not worth it but everybody here was worried about you. They look up to you and see you as a symbol of strength for Alfea."

"God, I love you" I said. 

I crashed my lips onto his as he was taken aback by the sudden action. 

"Bri!" Sky yelled. 

I turned around as Sky ran towards me dropping his bag in the process. He squeezed my body as I struggled to breath. I smacked his back trying to get his attention. 

"Sky" I said. "I. Can't. Breath."

He let go of my body as I caught my breath. 

"Did Bloom already meet him?" I asked. 

"Yeah" he said. "Well, technically no. He stood her up again."

"He's toying with her. He's gotta be stalling for time" I said. 

"Silva said six more fairies have been drained" Riven said. 

"Rosalind is the most powerful fairy alive right now, if he keeps this up he's going to become stronger than her" I said. 

"As long as he's not more powerful than you, I think we're good" Gwen said. 

I smiled as she engulfed me in a hug. 

"Where's Mills?" I asked. 

"Over there with the Specialists" she said. 

"Speaking of Specialists, you two should probably go to training" I said. 

Sky went to grab his bag before walking towards the bastion. Riven stood there awkwardly as he chuckled to himself. He kissed my cheek before following Sky. 

"Did I miss something?" Gwen asked. 

"Kinda" I said. 

"Word on the street is that Rosalind heard of your prison break already and is wanting to talk to you" she said. 

I sighed, turning around and walking towards the school. The entire way to Rosalind's "office" everybody stared at me. I opened the door to find Rosalind staring at me. 

"How are you feeling?" She asked. 

"Same as I have the past three days. Fine" I said. 

"And your magic?" She asked. 

I held my hand up as a ball of lightning appeared. 

"What do you think?" I asked. "I hear Sebastian bailed yet again."

"You don't sound surprised?" She said. 

"I'm not. I'm not stupid either" I said. "He's not going to meet her unless we are together."

She motioned for me to sit as I obeyed. 

"From what I understand, you two never really spoke" she said. "Why would he feel obligated to meet when you are together?"

I tilted my head as my phone pinged. 

"I might just be overthinking it" I said. 

Rosalind clearly wasn't as smart as she led on to be. He was after the Dragon Flame. Why else would he be stealing fairies magic. He's trying to get more powerful than Rosalind before he makes any type of attack. 

I smiled as I felt her trying to enter my mind. I blocked it off, standing up and walking towards the door. 

"Do keep an eye on Bloom. Your sister is rather reckless" she said. 

I walked out not saying another word. My phone began ringing as a picture of Bloom and I filled my screen.