Ch 11: Cornelia Street

"And I hope I never lose you, hope it never ends"

I held my hands out as a large fire ball formed in between them.

"Good" my mother said. "Now, throw it."

I slightly pushed my hands out as the fire ball collided with a tree that bursted into flames. 

"Now, focus on the mind" she said. 

I took a deep breath, closing my eyes, exhaling. I held my hand out, trying to form a energy ball. 

"You're not trying hard enough!" She yelled. 

"I'm trying!" I said. 

"Try harder!" She said. 

"Farah" Silva sighed. 

"She's not trying hard enough" she said. 

My eyes blasted open as a blue energy ball appeared in my hand. I smiled, holding it up. 

"I did it!" I said. 

My mother had a slight smile on her face as Silva clapped. He took out a training sphere as they both disappeared. It had been months since I trained like this, it was as if fear struck both of them. Silva had been training Sky harder, while my mother hardened her lessons. 

I turned my head as I heard rustling from behind me. I ducked just as a creature jumped over me. I threw a fire ball as it ran towards me. I held my hand out, trying to create an energy ball before it reached me. It wasn't working as I jumped out of the way. I held my hand behind my back as a sword was summoned. I stabbed the creature just as another jumped onto my shoulders. I threw it off, holding my hand out as I burnt it to a crisp. I grabbed a knife from my boot, throwing it just as I turned around, stabbing another one of the creatures as it disappeared. 

"Your fastest time yet" Silva said. 

He stepped out a couple feet away as I smiled. 

"You're doing good, Briar" he said. 

"Find me!" 

I turned my head as if it was to help with the voices. 

"Everything okay?" My mother asked. 

"Yeah" I lied. 

I blocked off my mind as she tried to enter it. She grabbed Silva by the arm, pulling him away as I closed my eyes, waiting for the voice to come again. 

"Find me"

I saw a glimpse of a woman older than my mother with hair as white as snow. I had never seen her before, yet something about her seemed mysterious and anything but comforting. I opened my eyes as both my mother and Silva watched me. 

"Are you sure you are fine?" She asked. 

"Peachy" I said. 

She was well aware I was blocking her out but decided not to further the conversation as she dismissed me from training. Millie walked past me, smiling as she met with my mother for training. My mother had taken in Millie under wing, training with her individually like she did with me. It was a sort of courtesy to her mother who felt Millie was in need of direction with her magic. Apparently our mothers were friends when they were at Alfea but grew apart as they had different views. 

I sat at my desk as the door knocked. I spun around in my chair to look at Gwen who was sitting on the couch. She was laying on her back, playing a game on her phone. 

"Wanna get that?" I asked. 

"Ugh" she said. "It's probably Riven."

She shot up to open the door as she groaned. 

"I knew it" she said. 

"Oh, come on, Gwen" he said. "If you keep rolling your eyes they'll stay that way."

He walked around her and began walking to my room. 

"Dick" she muttered. 

He came to my desk, kissing my cheek from behind as I smiled. 

"My bumble bee" he whispered. "How was training?"

"It was okay" I said. "I'm getting faster which is good."

He laid down on my bed, grabbing the book on my nightstand, skimming through it. 

"You must really be bored if you're reading on your own accord" I said. 

"I had to get out of the room, Sky is getting only last nerve" he said. 

"Why?" I asked. 

"Apparently Princess Stella hasn't told him about her knowing about the whole Ricky situation so he's been stressing about telling her" he said. 

"Oh my god, he still hasn't told her?" I said. "I should punch him in his throat for that, it's been literal months."

"I had to get away from that" he said. 

Gwen popped her head into my room as her and Riven got in an argument about god knows what as I turned back to my desk. After their argument it was silent, I figured Riven had fallen asleep until I heard him humming. 

"You're beautiful" he said.

"Riv, I'm trying to study" I said. "That was also very random and out of nowhere."

"I know" he said. "I just don't want to lose you."

I sat my pencil down, sighing as I turned to him. He was still lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling. I walked over to my bed, sitting beside him as he pulled me on top of him. I sat on his lap as he sat up, putting his hands on my thighs.

"You won't lose me" I said.

"What if I fuck this up?" He said.

I grabbed his face, putting my forehead to his. 

"Shut up and kiss me" I said. 

He kissed my lips softly as I pushed his hair back. 

"My little bumble bee" he whispered. 

"Only yours" I smiled. 

"When you see inside peoples minds, what do you see?" He asked. 

"Chaos" I said. "I see their worst memories, their best memories, traumatic experiences. Sometimes I can feel them as if I was the one who experienced them. They wonder if they are good enough, if they are worth it and sometimes I wish I could shake them and tell them they are."

"And yet you can't see inside my head?" He said. 

He said it as if it was a question rather than a statement. 

"You are the only one who brings peace to my mind. If I wanted to I could, but I'm sure there's not a whole lot going on in that beautiful head of yours" I said. 

"Be serious" he smiled. 

"You calm me" I said. "You make me feel like I am truly in control of my magic. Like I can do anything."

He grabbed my face as he scanned over every inch of it. 

"You are perfection, Briar Dowling, every single inch of you is perfect" he whispered. 

I never wanted this to end. Never.