Ch 23: Look What You Made Me Do

"But I got smarter, I got harder in the nick of time"

Riven grabbed my arm, causing me to look up at him.

"You ready for this?" He asked.

"Are you? Because I've trained my whole life for a fight like this" I said.

"You're not a Specialist, you shouldn't be out here" he said. "You could get hurt."

"I'm tired of everyone telling me I'm not a Specialist, I'm more than qualified to be out here, Riv" I said. "You know that. I'm not some puny fairy. I wouldn't leave you out here without any form of back up."

He grabbed my face, rubbing circles on my cheek. My eyes scanned over his face as Silva walked in between us. We followed him to Kat who showed us the video of Noura when she got attacked.

"I recognize the hollow Noura ran past" she said.

"Right, let's go" Silva said.

"Wait, what. without fairies?" Riven said.

"We've got Briar" he said.

"No offense but only one fairy isn't enough for six Burned Ones" Riven said.

"That's an order, Riven. Suck it up" Sky said.

I turned around hearing snarling.

"It's coming from the school" I said.

"Get back and gather all the students and bring them to the courtyard. Move!" Silva said.

We got into the trucks as they rushed towards the school. I hopped out of the truck, running to the suite. Gwen and Millie stood together as Millie held her hand up with a small ball of light in the center.

"It's me!" I said.

"What's happened?" Gwen asked. "And by the way, you look hot in that."

"Burned Ones are in the school. Get to the main courtyard" I said. "And thank you."

I followed them to the courtyard, looking around at all the students with armor on. My mother and I made eye contact as she stood in the front.

"As I'm sure you're aware, Burned Ones have infiltrated the Barrier and the school. For some reason the magical energy wells which power everything at the school have failed" she said. "I managed to speak with Queen Luna before they did. She understands the gravity of what's happening here, and the Solarian troops are on their way."

All the students began to panic, their thoughts became my thoughts. Many of them scared they wouldn't make it to the next day.

"We're barricading all entrances to the courtyard. We're safe for now.. but we must prepare for the reality that the Burned Ones may infiltrate the space before they arrive" she said. "This is what we've been training for. Be cautious, but be brave. Let magic guide you and let's show them what it means to be Alfean's. Prepare the barricade."

I walked towards her as she grabbed my face.

"You have the power to protect everyone here" she said. "I love you, Briar, with all my heart. Since the moment you were born I knew you were destined for things bigger than us."

"I love you, too" I whispered.

She kissed my forehead before Bloom walked over. I looked over all the students as they looked right back at me.

"Alfea is our home!" I said. "Now it's time to protect it."

I scanned over everyones faces to find Riven but came up empty handed. I realized Bloom was also gone as the windows shook behind me. I turned around, feeling the Burned Ones right outside.