Ch 1: Never Grow Up

14 years old
"Don't you ever grow up, just stay this little"

Sky and I sat on the ground opposite to one another.

"Can you relax? I can feel your nervousness" I said.

"Sorry, being surrounded by fire makes me a little uneasy" he said.

"It's giving me motivation if I know I'm not the only one at risk to get harmed" I said.

"I'd rather not get hurt" he said.

My eyes darted open, twisting my hand as the fire disappeared. He sighed, relieved as Silva walked out of the house. He had two glasses in his hands, handing them to Sky.

"You've been out here for ages"" he said.

"Yes, well, I've been trying to practice but he wouldn't stop complaining" I said.

"I could've gotten burned!" Sky said.

"Grow up, I wouldn't have let you get burned, you big baby" I said.

"Just like Farah" Silva smiled.

"Now, it's your time to help me train" Sky said.

"Fair enough" I said.

I changed into armor Silva had made specially for me behind my mothers back. If she found out, she'd probably have his head. I grabbed two sticks from the shed running to Sky. I threw one to him as Silva supervised.

"Don't hold back" I said.

"I don't want to hurt you" Sky said.

"Sure" I said.

We began sparring as he hit the stick out of my hand. He laughed as I swept my foot across his legs. He hit the ground, grunting as Silva clapped.

"You have to be prepared for anything, Sky" he said. "Just because you took their weapon away doesn't mean the fight is over."

I smiled as Sky stood up. I turned around as my mother walked up. My eyes went wide realizing I was still in my gear.

"And what might we have here?" She asked.

"Farah, shouldn't you be at the school?" Silva asked.

"Why is Briar in gear?" She asked.

"Let's go inside" he said.

Sky and I watched as my mother followed Silva into the house. Not long after hem closing the door my mother began yelling. This went on for a few minutes before she walked back out. She motioned for me to follow her as I said my goodbyes.

I watched my mother walk down the hall so elegantly yet with purpose. She opened the door to her office as I stepped inside. She sat behind her desk as I looked around. I walked up the spiraled stairs, looking at all the books.

"You are not a Specialist, Briar" she said.

"I never said I was" I said.

"Don't start" she said.

"I think it'd be good for fairies to learn combat" I said. "We cannot always rely on our powers. There will be times where we cannot use them, and when that time comes what will we do? Stand there and die because we weren't trained in combat. If we die at least we die fighting."

She tried to hide her smile as she signed papers for new students.

"I'm not wrong" I said. "When I spar with Sky I feel like I have a purpose, like I mean something."

She set her pen down, looking up to me as I leaned over the railing.

"You have more purpose in life than you realize. You are one of a kind, Briar, you are special" she said. "You are my daughter and you mean something to me. I wish you'd never grow up and stayed a little girl you were."

I smiled going back to look at the books.

"If you wish to train with Saul, that is your decision to make not mine" she said. "But I do warn you to be careful."

"I'm always careful" I said.

"I know" she said.

I grabbed one of the books from the shelf, sitting at the chair nearby and spent the afternoon reading until Sky came and got me for dinner.