Ch 14: I Think He Knows

"He's so obsessed with me and, boy, I understand"

"Find me!"

I tossed around in bed as pain shot through my entire body.

"Get out" I said.

"Find me!"

"I said get out!" I yelled.

I sat up as everything in my room flew to the wall. Riven jumped out of bed as I began hyperventilating. He put his hands on my cheeks, forcing me to look in his eyes.

"Hey, you're okay" he said.

My breathing slowed as he rubbed circles with his thumbs.

"What the fuck happened?" He asked.

"I.. I don't know" I said. "She's in my head again."

"You need to tell your mum" he said.

"I can't" I said.

"Briar, you need to" he said.

"No" I said. "Riv, she's hiding something from me."

"Most parents do" he said.

I looked down as my heart ached. Riven never talked about his parents, I never pushed him to either. If it wasn't something he wanted to talk about then that was that.

"She's not like most parents" I said. "She's the mother of one of the most powerful fairies alive, she'd hidden a lot of stuff from me about my magic. I know my mum, so I know when she's hiding something."

"I don't think it's good to bottle this up" he said.

"I'll be fine" I said.

"What happens when one day you explode?" He asked.

"Just hold me" I whispered.

He got back into bed, pulling my body towards his. I put my head on his chest, hearing his increased heartbeat. He began running his hands through my hair as I went back to sleep.

The next day he continued to pester me about telling my mother which I stood my ground each time. He kept telling me I should tell at least Sky who I knew would worry and probably tell my mother or worse, Silva.

"Hello?" Gwen said.

She knocked on my head as if she was knocking on a door.

"I'd appreciate if you did not do that again" I said.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong?" She asked.

"I've been he-" I stopped talking once I saw Oliver walking towards us.

"Babe" he said.

He swooped in, kissing Gwen on her cheek.

"Glad I ran into you, Bri" he said.

"Don't call me that" I snapped.

I didn't hate Oliver, but I didn't particularly like him either. He was a straight up dick but he treated Gwen the way she deserved so I let it slide.

"Briar, Sky is actually looking for you" he said. "He said he's been trying to text you."

"I left my phone in my room" I said.

"Ahh" he said. "Bastion."

I saluted to him as I walked away. I found Sky sitting alone, staring out into space. I sat beside him, pulling my legs closer to my body as I rested my chin on one of my knees.

"It sucks" he said.

"I know" I said. "I'm sorry."

"I don't get it, Bri" he said. "I've been waiting and waiting. I loved her and she's acting like I meant nothing to her."