chapter 50

The atmosphere in the hospital was heavy, thick and oppressive. The smell of antiseptic had been suffocating since they arrived. Yeonjun was sitting in the waiting room with Beomgyu beside him who was holding his hand to make him feel that he was there for him. His expression was dull and exhausted as he sat staring out the window at nothing, lost in thought, his grip tightening around Beomgyu's hands occasionally when his thoughts seemed to drift further than a single memory.

          Soobin sat across them, leaning against his knuckles with his temple. He would flash occasionally glances into Yeonjun's direction, and the latter could see something dangerous in his eyes whenever he caught them. It wasn't jealousy, neither anger nor hostility. They showed hatred... A pure hatred towards him almost like he was blaming Yeonjun for Taehyun's condition.

          Huening Kai was in the restroom, probably, trying to sober up somehow. It was the middle of the night. Taehyun's surgery was over an hour ago and the doctors said that his condition was very critical. The next 24 hours were crucial for the boy's life, so his friends and lover decided to spend the whole night there in case something important happened. There was no way they were going to leave Taehyun until making sure that nothing bad would happen to the boy during his critical hours.

          Feeling tired and weak, Yeonjun rested his head on Beomgyu's shoulder and gently closed his eyes. He didn't know what time it was exactly but the hospital lights hurt his sensitive eyes and he just wanted nothing more than to fall asleep on top of the other. But he couldn't. His worries about his friend weren't giving him peace.

          Soobin noticed the proximity between their bodies, but he didn't care anymore. After seeing how his selfish love towards Yeonjun harmed his friend, Soobin could feel his feelings turn cold and distant and the only thing he could think about now was Taehyun and his life, nothing else. He tried not to let it show on his face but inside, he felt like breaking down every second and what was making his guilt worse was the fact that Taehyun thought he was a terrible person and a betrayal. For fuck's sake Soobin even hit him and hurt him. The boy wanted to apologise so bad but in that situation it was impossible. He just prayed that Taehyun would wake up soon.

          All eyes snapped to Huening Kai when the latter returned to the waiting room, but his expression was different. He looked almost like he was annoyed, his bloodshot eyes glaring at the floor as if his gaze would melt the concrete beneath him. They drifted to Soobin soon enough and the latter felt like disappearing when he felt how Huening Kai's eyes pierced through him.

          "What were you doing there?", the youngest suddenly asked, causing Yeonjun's and Beomgyu's eyes to flicker over to the two. A slight frown formed on Yeonjun's face as he furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, watching as Soobin swallowed thickly and lowered his gaze.

          The male opened his mouth to say something but nothing came out. The boy sighed deeply and ran a hand through his already messy hair which was a perfect answer for the youngest but he needed the details.

          "Why did Taehyun sound so scared on the phone?!", he put forward another question, his voice slightly raised, "Why was he crying when he was telling that you were behind him?!"

          Yeonjun's puzzled eyes darted to Soobin who had hung his head low, not making eye contact with anyone.

          What was going on?

          "Stop being silent!", Huening Kai raised his voice even more and before he knew it, he was grabbing Soobin's collar and forcing him on his feet which made Yeonjun and Beomgyu stand up from their seats as well in alarm, "Did you do something to my boyfriend?! Tell me!"