Chapter 12

After no more than 30 minutes. Headlights shown in the distance. Audrina  quickly pulled her self together. She flattened her hair, wiped the left over tears on her cheeks. She didn't realize how fast the car was coming until it had pulled up along the side of the road.

She walked up but the car turned off and before her Kieran emerged from the car. He strides towards her as she got close to the door. She touched the door handle and a hand stopped her from opening the door. Turning to him, Audrina's eyes instantly met his. Even in the night, those striking eyes were gleaming a hue of multiple colors. His locs we braided back but they were neatly twisted. His brown skin glowed from the moon.

"Thank you", she spoke. She had control of her voice as she nodded.

He retracted his hands and stood straight, "Yea, of course.", he scanned over her and even in the night she saw how his eyebrows scrunched together, "What... uhhhh. What happened."

   "Family drama", she countered. "I'm so sorry for bothering you. I understand it's inappropriate..... but I do appreciate i-."

Kieran held up a hand, stopping her from continuing, "The open door policy is for everyone in the law firm. You on the other hand can call me whenever you want to ok?"

Audrina didn't think more of what he was saying other than friendly co-workers who worked with each other for years. She nodded putting a smile of gratitude on her face. And before she could thank him again, Kieran reached back to the door handle and opened the door for her. He gestured for her to get in; which she followed.

Audrina buckled her seat belt and rested against the back of the seat, looking out the window to the forest. Rin was out there somewhere, and what was killing Audrina the most was that she was right.

Kieran got into the car with a sigh and started the ignition. The cool air conditioner blew against her skin. They rode in silence. Audrina just watching the street not having the energy to speak. She was so drained but there was nothing she knew that would be able to help her sleep at night.

"You hungry? I know a 24 hour sushi spot."

Audrina snapped out of her head, and turned to face him. She saw that his eyes were on the road, but she didn't see it moments before when he was spring glanced at her. Concerned now turning into worry.

No thank you", she spoke softly, turning back to the window.

   That was all they said for the rest of the ride. The continued glances from Kieran went unnoticed. She just was stuck in her head. Replaying her conversation with Rin. Hearing the pain and vulnerability in her voice was strange especially from her. Rin, unlike Haru was distant. She would follow his steps to visit her and barely spoke a word when they talked. Of course Audrina checked in on her. But Rin was just as much of a mystery to her than anything, out of all the Sohmas she was the most difficult to read.

When they arrived at her complex, he pulled to the part that was closest to her place after she directed him. And when coming to a stop, she was quick to unbuckle her seatbelt. Before opening the door she turned to the male.

"Thank you again."

He stared into her eyes for a second. Him analyzing and knowing that there was something different in her eyes for that split second. "Of course, I'll see you tomorrow."

She nodded her head, "Goodnight." And after his send off, she shut the door, walked up to her apartment, opened it, walked to her room, slid her shoes off.....

Then fell into the bed. Not to sleep, but just to bask in the silence for the first time in a couple of weeks.

——————————————-