Chapter 16

"Hey Night-owl, suns out"

Audrina gained back her focus, after seeing the room go dark. She lifted her her head to see the silhouette of Kieran at the opposite end of her office ; hand on the light switch. When he finally gained her attention, he turned the lights back on.

"I've been calling you for the past  10 minutes.", he walked up to her desk, taking a seat infront of her.

Audrina has been out of focus for most of the day. For the weekend, she had been so worked up by everything that's been happening that she started jumbling everything together.

It's been almost two weeks since she's been offered to fly out to America, and there was only one thing holding her back. It was eating her up knowing that if it were up to her own free will she would've taken the opportunity. But then, it would mean having to leave working alongside Kieran.

"Sorry", she sighed and continued sorting through her papers. Kieran had noticed she's been doing the same thing for the past 30 minutes. The repetitive organization, placing papers in a pile. Somehow it always ended up back as a mess, to which she reorganized.

"The papers can't get any straighter you know", he reached over and grabbed the stack from her hand, straightening it out as a last attempt and set it down on the corner of her desk, placing a stapler on it to prevent it from moving even an inch out of place.

  Audrina quietly watched him, she didn't have much energy at all, she felt drained and helpless towards her own life. Nothing for the past three months has been in her control. Nothing in her life has been in control but this is now when she was staring to feel it most. Kieran folded his arms and leaned in across the table slightly, he studied her and frowned. "Are you okay?"

Audrina, mumbled a 'yea', turning to face her monitor and fiddle with the mouse. She had no task to do on it but, she still felt it was better than nothing. Because if she wasn't doing anything, than her mind would take over.

"Audrina?"

"What", she spoke. A hint of annoyance littered her tone. It wasn't because of him, it was just she couldn't explain herself what was going on, how was she suppose to explain it to someone else.

Kieran scrunched his eyebrows, taken back by her voice. Not only did her voice express agitation , but he was looking more at her. He noticed the way she carried herself was different that day. She wasn't willing to joke. Wasn't willing to even look him in the eye. If there was any other day he walked into her office, she would've ask him if he needed anything.

"Are you feeling ok?", he asked. Not bothered by her slight attitude.

"Yea... yes I'm okay", she turned back to gaze at the monitor.

"Look at me", he instructed. Audrina had no other choice than to do so. If she hesitated, he would further ask why. The sooner she let him conclude that she was "okay", the sooner he'd leave.

"You get any sleep last night?"

"Enough", she lied.

He knew. But he continued on, he looked at the clock on the wall then back to her, "It's almost 5, have you eaten today?"

"Yep", she lied. But then she thought about his question. Only because he mentions the time, "Wait it's 5?", she picked up her phone quickly.

"Yes ma'am", he sighed propping his arm up to rest his head on. "Riddle me this, you understand that food, is just a little important for our survival?"

"A little", she mumbled, scrolling through her text. Whatever he was saying was going in one ear out the other.

"Just a tiny bit", he repeated back trying to keep her attention, "we both went to school to seek out liars. I don't think you're telling me the truth."