Chapter 42

Audrina sat in her car, outside of where she worked. She had five minutes before she had to clock in.

Four.

She hasn't gotten a text fro him. And she felt ashamed to check given she was the reason.

Akito never mentioned what she overheard. Neither did Shigure. Hatori never gave her an update on if he followed through, nor did she ask. She took cues like his non-existent texts as such.

Three.

It took about that amount of time to walk to her office. She didn't have any excuse. With force, she wielded her body to get out of the car. She finally was able to get more than 30 minutes of sleep. Capping it at two hours, it was better than nothing.

But she walked in the firm with her mask. Smile and nodding to whoever faced her, until she was in her office.

She felt as if it's been long since she worked, when it was only a couple of days ago. But she was settled in her desk. Checking through her folders and emails.

Her heart hammering every time she heard footsteps coming in the direction of her office. Only for it to settle when they walked passed.

A couple of hours into her shift, she heard a knock on her door, thinking it was the same co-worker who had just forgotten something she said to come in.

"Hey, I didn't get to see you today?"

Audrina froze. She stopped typing on the keyboard and felt as if everything in her mind cleared a blank. With hesitance, she turned to look at the door.

Kieran stood there, kind face. His locs braided back professionally, suit matching perfectly with his tie.

She looked at his arm that covered the tattoo. The one he doesn't know he showed her. His piercings that didn't have any earrings in them.

"Hey", her voice was so soft that she hardly recognized herself. Quickly she adverted her gaze to the screen. Hoping that he would leave. But he didn't, instead she heard him pull out her chair.

"How are you?", he hummed.

"I'm okay", she still kept her gaze on the screen. Tense all over. She was afraid to breathe. Her heart hurt terribly.

He really did forget.

"You sure?" , he tried. He leaned his elbow on the counter.

Sniffing she quickly looked away and back at the computer. It's something she thought wouldn't happen again. This same dull interaction. Back and forth of nothing. Her trying to push them away, but it's like they were magnets . If only she could repel them.

"Yea, just sick.", she cleared the lump in her throat.

He scrunched his eyebrows, "You take any medicine? I can get you something."

"Really I'm fine", she urged, facing him again. As much as it hurt, as it sent something through her it did.

And when they locked eyes, she immediately notice there was something familiar about them. Not the distant and confused look that Amrin held, Kieran had a softer expression.

But he always did. She only told herself that.

"Ok", he raised his hands in defense, "If you need anything , my door is always open."

"No it's not", one of her co-workers mumbled. Kieran rolled his eyes and turned to them. They stood at her door, an eyebrow raised.

"Yea not for you", the co-worker smirked as they both left. However, before anything Kieran turned back, his face just hitting her painfully. "If you need or want anything, you know where to find me."