Chapter 19

Tohru and her classmates were at practice. The play was only a week away and she has yet to fit into proper role of the evil step sister.

For the hundredth time she broke character and was almost defeated at how she couldn't play a simple part. 

She thought to her self:

I have to do better than this. I need to help make this a wonderful play so everyone will enjoy the festival. And as a way to say thank you for everyone who worked so hard on our costumes and set-up.

———————————————

Kieran had picked up Audrina, to head to the school. She got into the car, each saying their good mornings.

Before they pulled off, Audrina noticed two drinks were placed in the cup holders. At the same time she noticed it, he shifted the gear and started backing up when he acknowledged them.

"Honey Citrus tea right? "

Audrina scrunched her eyebrows. She looked up to the male, who returned to facing front. He eyed her confusion, and pointed to the drink in the first cup holder.

"Thought I pick you up something . You know clocking into our 9-5 Highschool volunteer session."

She opened her mouth, looking down at the drink. "I..... umm.... Thank you." She slowly took it. But something in her voice drew his attention. Not once has Kieran seen Audrina do anything for her self. It hasn't become apparent until recently. He's never seen her ask for assistance. Never asked for favors that didn't involve helping others.

And her reaction to this, was the setting point. It was as if she was uncomfortable receiving any sort of treatment. When he payed for her drink the first time she was ready to insist she takes it up. It was the small cues that all led to one big observation.

Audrina did feel uncomfortable accepting certain things. It made her feel as if she was asking for too much. Who was she if she wasn't doing anything for anyone else. Rin said it herself. The one time she did, so many things happen that's it's like she has to make up for all of it. It's gotten to a point she forgets what is weighing down her shoulders. The pressure that has been pushing her down since birth.

It got to the point where the human body got used to it. Used to the force that it had become a norm. So when she offered to pay herself, it's not because she didn't feel right to not pay for her own drink. It's  because the guilt that weighed on her was almost unbearable. She never showed it because there was no use in explaining how draining it was to have such thoughts. She just bared it.

But having the same person consistently do kind gestures. Was not new. Oddly and terribly familiar . And the mentally draining emotion, tied in with her gradually increasing heartbeat contrasted each other.

"You know", he broke her inner thoughts. Audrina turned her head towards him. "My high school never did anything like this. A play."

  She swallowed her intense emotions to get through the conversation, taking a deep breath she focused ahead, "What did your Highschool do?"

"Competitions. Kickball tournaments.", he shrugged, "I can't complain. I just rarely had anything that brought people together for cohesiveness instead of competing against each other. Then there's the team leads, who are always blamed if the teams messes up. It's a shit show sometimes."

"Gotcha", she nodded.

"Which would you prefer?"

Audrina looked out the window, watching the blurry image of people go by, the signs on shops, every color blending in as her eyes couldn't keep focus on an individual. She took a sip of her drink before answering, "Teams don't sound that bad."