Chapter 38

The phone ringing was so loud. Loud for both of them. For different reasons. Audrina was one click away from knowing if she was going to stay in Japan, or move all the way to the U.S.

What constricted her heart even more was the fact that Kieran didn't seem surprised. He knows all the older Sohma's. Tristan wasn't one of them. It was one thing to ask who was calling, it was another to ask the way he did. Like in the back of his head he had a feeling. He was way to casual.

She was running out of rings left till it went to her voicemail.

"I'll tell you after", she scrambled, her voice shaking slightly. But he still continued looking at the ceiling. Defeated. "I promise."

She couldn't stomach more of his expression before she started out his front door. It was dark but the time difference was starting to become clear. Audrina took a couple of deep breath, but couldn't do anything about her shaking hands. It was something she barely pressed the answer button over. Just making it in time before nothing was left.

"Hello", she said softly.

Hello, am I speaking with Audrina Sohma?

She took another deep breath, "Yes."

Soon as he got confirmation, Tristan's demeanor changed. Hey Audrina how are you doing?

"I'm well, thank you. How are you?"

Great, thanks for asking. So I'm assuming you already know this phone call is for a follow up about our working interview for the Defense Attorney position. It was very nice meeting with you in person and everyone on the team say the same.

"You as well", she wished she had more. That she would practice what she rehearsed when preparing for this very phone call. But it went above her head the moment he started talking.

Well, after talking with them and looking through your resume once more.......

I'd like to officially offer you the position.

_____________________________

Audrina stayed outside longer. When the phone call ended, she was still laying up against Kieran's front door, just staring off into the distance. At her car, his car, the trees. Then her eyes landed on an owl.

It was staring back at her. As if each were waiting for the other to strike the first move. It was starting to feel like time was blending together. During the night, there was not telling what specific time struck the clock. Not as easy as it is during the day in which she could track the sun. Tell when the clock hit moon when it beamed down from the highest point in the sky.

So much was running through her head. That the headache that was starting to develop was purely from the overload. She gave an audible sigh trying to release some sort of tension, but that didn't seem to do the trick.

  When she blinked, breaking the indirect staring contest between her and the owl , it jumped from the branch and started towards her. It's been a. While since she's had such an encounter but even if so, she wasn't against it. Honestly, feeling some sort of pain from its talons would force her to move. But of course, the owl didn't come all the way, she lowered her gaze as it landed in front of her. No more than 5 feet away.

It was another battle of stares. Until without another second, the owl opened its wings once's again, and flew away. There wasn't more to say. Nothing more to distract her from what her outcome would be.

What'd she'd have to face when turning back inside.

When she entered, the TV was off as she rounded the corner of the living room. Kieran had moved from his spot she left him on the couch and was now cleaning up the table from the takeout, they had ordered earlier. He knew she was there the moment she stepped into the house from the alarm system. They both knew that he was aware of her presence.