Chapter 28

"When my curse broke, I could finally see the truth. Our bond wasn't natural. But at the same time, I could see something else.", Kureno continued. "A little girl crying."

Audrina had turned away from them. She covered her face with her hands rubbing her temples to soothe the headache that consumed her.

"She's still the sobbing child I can't abondon. Even now.... And I can't see Arisa when there is another I promised to remain beside. I'm sorry, I know that's a lot and difficult to hear. I guessed telling you would help you understand something."

And his next phrase was what did it for her.

"The same Akito who wounds others so easily is herself deeply wounded."

It took her back. Back to when they first met. Their first interaction. She tried..... tried to be there for Akito. But upon their first conversation. It was Akito who sent her away.

"Maybe now, you see why I can't leave."

I don't

"Even if part of me wants to."

I don't....

Audrina repeated that to herself. Even if she tried to come to his point of view. Her own bias experience with the entire Sohma clan has made her decision.

There was silence, Audrina not knowing what was going on. She dragged her hands down her face and crossed her arms over herself. She didn't want to turn back.

But finally she heard him, "I'm sorry.... All I ever do is hurt others. But even so..... this is the path I chose. My choice. My will."

She heard Tohru's sobs. And then she flinched when she felt someone lightly wrap and arm around her wrist.

"Don't", Audrina spoke m. But Kureno wasn't listening. He turned her around even as she was shaking her head.

"Listen to me", he whispered.

Audrina wasnt having it. "I tried....", she started, "I tried for years to understand what was different. If I did something wrong."

"You did nothing wrong", he guided his hands up to cup her face.

"This whole time....... you were caring for her. That wasn't your responsibility.", and her voice came out in a whisper. "It was mine."

"I'm sorry", he spoke. But she shook her head again.

"Stop.... It's my fault", and a tear slid down her face, "If I hadn't allowed her to prevent me from doing what I should of been doing, than maybe you wouldn't have-."

"Audrina", he wiped the tear away. She looked up and saw his smile. And though he tried to make it genuine, she could see the pain. The emptiness behind it. And that didn't make her feel any better. "Thank you. For caring."

"If you go now", she tried, "She can take it out on me. Just please......"

But he shook his head.

"Please", she begged.

"She needs me", he recited. "But thank you,....."

And he didn't allow her to utter another word. He let her bask in that self-disappointment as he walked off. And Audrina watched as the distance between them grew once again. But this time, she was aware why. And that made her feel 10 times worse.

She's failed him. And it's been so long that her attempt to fix anything was gone. While prior to Kureno telling her that his bond snap, she didn't feel it. Yet following the information, like a cut not hurting till your aware,  she felt him missing. He was gone and she didn't notice. She could have done something when it first snapped. But instead she didn't.