14 • The Professor

The first years had all been sorted, and you looked over at the young slytherins at your table. You envied them for having only just started their years at Hogwarts. They had so many years ahead of them to figure things out.

I hope they don't wait till their last year to realise they need to do something with their lives, like me.

The table where Dumbledore and the staff sat had become bigger in order to seat the Ministry whenever they were around and... Mr. Malfoy.

It didn't take long until the other slytherins attempted to mock Draco for it. He didn't take any shit from them though, ignoring their remarks the fun of mocking him just wasn't there. So they cooled down. You'd also noticed the Potter boy glancing over at Draco, muttering words to his redheaded friend.

You knew what they were thinking, because you thought the same thing.

Here he is, the wealthy and superior Mr. Malfoy, not even employed by the Ministry or Headmaster Dumbledore for this security thing, thinking he has the right to be present.

What about the other eleven Governors of the Hogwarts Board? They weren't present.

It was overwhelming to feel so annoyed by a person you still couldn't stop thinking about. Feeling a bit ashamed you wondered why such a person intrigued you so much.

Perhaps having his attention, knowing how you made him feel, was a power you liked having.

Looking over at him you saw him sitting next to Professor Snape, your favourite teacher. Diverting your eyes to him you noticed how his dark hair and more masculine facial features made him look quite the opposite from the man next to him. Somehow making the other look less superior in comparison. However, what they both shared was the look of dismay on their faces, a rather cold expression you'd figured they both hid behind.

Who are you really, Professor Snape?

You hadn't managed to read him over the years. Not that you had tried too hard. Just knowing he tolerated you was a win alone. And you rather enjoyed being able to talk to him without him sending you death glares, like he would most people. The perk of being a slytherin, maybe.

Noticing you looking their way, both Lucius and Snape looked back at you. Because you were sitting so far away it wasn't easy to tell which one you actually looked at. Snape gave you a small smile, making you blush and look down at your hands. Realising it wasn't him you had looked at Lucius gave his dark haired friend a side eye and stopped eating, putting his fork down.

Bringing your attention back to your friends you ate some of your food, and started laughing when you saw Jade drop a piece of chicken on her shirt. «Ah damn», she muttered, looking up glaring at you for laughing.

«I'm sorry», you started, putting your hands up as to signal peace, «I tend to laugh at inappropriate times, I can't help it».

She chuckled. «Don't worry, I'm the same», she said and tried to wipe the stain away with a napkin. «It's not coming off», she huffed.

A husky voice behind you made the hairs on your back stand up. «Here, let me help you», he said, and before you knew it the stain had disappeared from her shirt. Jade swallowed nervously.

«Thank you Mr. Malfoy», she said, the tension in the air was awkward.

He stood there scanning the slytherin table with his eyes, stopping at his son. «Draco, I expect you and your friends especially to behave well this year. I don't want to hear your names among those who break the rules», he said, sounding quite annoyed.