76 • Pine Needles

«Garrik, what is the meaning of this?», Snape hissed. You were biting the inside of your cheek nervously.

Fuck.

«Miss wanted to surprise you, Master», Garrik said from behind the cake. You looked away awkwardly, and Harry didn't know if he should leave or stay.

Snape's facial expression spoke of nothing but dismay, but inside he felt confused, «surprise?», he muttered as he looked at you.

«Garrik, will you take the cake to my chambers, please?», you asked quietly.

«Yes, Miss, Garrik will do so», and the little elf disappeared with the cake.

«What is going on?», Snape asked in a sneer.

«Bloody Malfoy and his friends attacked her», Harry exclaimed. Worry washed over the professor's face, until he realised something.

«Why wasn't Garrik with you?», he asked, but then he remembered the cake. His attention turned to Harry, «you may leave, and I'm deducting five points from Gryffindor».

«Deducting? I helped her», he pointed out helplessly, looking at you to defend him. You, on the other hand, was overwhelmed and knew Snape was probably going to yell at you, so you said nothing.

«Leave, Potter, before I deduct five more», Snape murmured and waved him off. Harry raised his hands in a dramatic defeat and turned on his heel to leave.

«My. Office. Now», Snape said, careful to enunciate every word.

-

«Are you okay?», Snape asked, his tone calmer. You tilted your head slightly, feeling a little confused by the lack of yelling. He had stopped by his desk, but he was leaning against it, holding the edges.

«Why aren't you angry?», you asked and put your hair behind your ear, clearing your throat.

He raised an eyebrow, «I've made the mistake before of acting on anger when I should focus on your feelings instead», he explained. To you it looked, and seemed, as if this was something he had been thinking about for some time.

«Okay», you replied, feeling a bit surprised, «well, I..», you gripped the side of your arm and felt awkward about the whole thing. There were so many things you could've done, should've done. However, you had been too overwhelmed, paralysed even, by the actions of your own friends. Especially when the person who'd done something wrong definitely wasn't you.

«You can tell me», he urged you to continue.

«I'm just sad, Severus. I didn't do anything to deserve this», you said with your voice nearly breaking mid-sentence.

He motioned for you to walk over to him, which you did, letting him embrace you. His far too large robes covered you almost entirely as you snuggled into his arms. «Their actions will not go unpunished, my dear», he said slowly as he ran his fingers through your hair. It was something he'd grown quite fond of doing.

«I just want things to be normal again», you replied.

«They won't, it's better accepting that than wishing for anything else», he said dryly.

You sighed, «I guess, it all just feels... stupid».

Snape huffed and let you go, and without saying anything he walked around his desk and sat down, moving things around hastily and aimlessly. As if to distract himself. You raised an eyebrow and crossed your arms in front of your chest, awaiting his comment, knowing exactly what he wanted say, but was trying hard not to. «You can just say it».