19 • Sea Creatures

Once Lucius had left the room, you widened your eyes and found yourself speechless at his words. Professor Snape seemed equally as speechless. His faced filled with thought he looked over at you and narrowed his eyes suspiciously.

«I told you he isn't a man you should get in trouble with», he said slowly, standing up. You watched him walk over to you, swallowing nervously you didn't know what to say. «I thought I only had to say that once», he added.

«He's just overprotective», you said, at least it seemed true.

«Why would he be?», Snape crossed his arms, standing by the side of your desk. His tall and dark figure towered over you. You felt small.

«Because Draco's my friend», you lied. The professor considered your words, his face once again filled with thought.

«That boy has other friends too that his father doesn't care half as much about», Snape said as he wasn't buying it.

You looked at him with panic across your face, your tank of lies close to empty. «Then I honestly don't know why he would say that», you said.

«Do you know what veritaserum is, Miss Y/LN?», he asked, his voice deep.

«Yes», you gulped.

«I have a flask», he paused, «and I'd give it to you», he paused once more, «but I won't waste it». You felt both confused and relieved, not knowing what else to do than nod.

«It takes too long to brew», he raised an eyebrow, «you'd know if you focused on your studies», he sneered. «The Ministry wouldn't be pleased either», he added, clicking his tongue disappointingly as he looked away, obviously thinking about something.

«Mm'kay», he paused, «I won't force the truth out of you», he said, pushing the thought of invading your mind away. For now.

«I told you the truth», you protested loudly, standing up from your chair. The dark haired man still towering over you.

«Miss Y/LN», he warned, speaking through gritted teeth, «watch your tone».

«I'm sorry, sir», you sighed, leaning on the desk with one of your hands. Feeling slightly dizzy. «It's the truth», you said quietly.

«Then riddle me this, Miss Y/LN», he looked down at you, «why is Mr. Malfoy after me all of a sudden?».

You tugged on your skirt anxiously. «The picture», you murmured, not knowing what else to say.

«Speak up young lady, I can't hear you».

Looking up at him you met his black eyes. His expression softened as he found himself weaken at the sight of yours.

«The picture», you repeated, «it made him suspicious, you heard him, you were there».

«That's absurd», he replied.

«What part?», while looking at his face you wondered how he'd felt after hearing Mr. Malfoy's accusations. Was he surprised? Did he agree that the glance you'd shared was loving? You surely didn't know. Professor Snape had been your favourite teacher for a long time, for a couple of reasons. His cold and angry nature made you want his validation so much more, and the few times he would seem happy with your performance in class was enough to boost your selfesteem, and want it again. Also, his skills were impressive. At the same time he had always made you curious to know more, seeing as he shared so little. You simply wanted him to like you, so you'd worked harder for it. Perhaps that was what Jade had seen, saying he never seemed mean to you.