60 • Mere Hearsay

«You're the most calculated and methodical person I know», you hissed quietly, «how did you forget such a thing?»

«Just get into the bathroom», Snape murmured as he softly guided you (or pushed) towards the door. On the way you'd snatched your many items of clothing that laid scattered around. You stumbled slightly, your legs feeling wobbly.

On your way into the bathroom he served you one last slap on the ass, making you gasp and glare at him. «How are you not stressed?», you hissed as the person knocking was still doing so. He didn't reply and closed the door on you, locking it behind him by a wave of his hand.

He'd magically clothed himself and rushed to the door, «hold on», he said loudly and slowly.

Upon opening the door a very red Minerva McGonagall entered the room, her eyes wandered past the professor.

«Hello Minnie», he drawled, seemingly unbothered.

«Severus», she warned, «I had young students come to me saying they heard screaming from your room».

«You know how they are», he paused, «eager in engaging in mischevious pranks».

«Pranks?», she exclaimed, closing the door behind her, «they were quite upset and said it was a woman's voice. Do not tell me this is what I think it is?»

«It is not what you think it is», he replied calmly.

In that moment you were hastily dressing yourself, and managed to slip on a wet patch on the floor, from when you'd showered earlier. A loud thud emerged from the bathroom due to your fall, followed by a muffled gasp, and McGonagall's eyes diverted to the door right away. Looking back at Snape she furrowed her eyebrows.

«So it is not Miss Y/LN you're hiding in your bathroom?», she asked, her voice grating.

«I assure you she is not here», he lied.

«Then tell me where she is», she demanded, crossing her arms.

Your heart was racing fast as you found yourself frozen in your spot on the bathroom floor.

«I do not know where she is all the time, Minnie, and if you'll excuse me I have work to get back to», he excused himself, his voice monotone. But she wasn't having it.

«Severus, I do not understand why you would lie to me», she began, «but I came to tell you that you two have to be more careful. I do not know what those students heard, nor do I want to know, but unless you have a better explanation as to why a woman would scream in your office then please - take caution. That little article about you in the Daily Prophet alone can cause damage to you, but also to the credibility of this school. You know that».

«It wouldn't be the first time I make a student cry», he drawled.

«So if I open that door I will not find Miss Y/LN hiding in there?», she hissed.

He looked at her and clenched his jaw, «even if she was in there, Minnie, anything that happens between the two of us is private».

«It isn't private when people hear you», she squealed, feeling mortified.

«Minnie, calm down», he said, «the worst thing that can happen is rumours. And last time I checked no one even believed that newspaper article. Do not worry».

«You told me not to worry last time, yet here I am», she replied.

«Why do you worry so much?», he asked.

She sighed, «I do not want you to lose your job, you're one of the very few people I get along with here».

He was positively surprised, but didn't show. «I will not lose my job. The Ministry, Dumbledore and I have an agreement», he explained.