37 • Knock Knock

Who's there?
                    Not smut.

**

You closed the door behind you, and Professor Snape had a look around. Your room was messy. But he wasn't surprised. The room belonged to a 20-year-old with a toddler.

«I'm sorry about the mess», you said as you realised there were clothes and toys everywhere. Without thinking too much you pushed Scarlet into his hands, and once again he stood there paralysed as the toddler began to wake up.

You rushed around to put the clothes into a hamper when the toddler started crying. The harsh reality of no longer being asleep engulfed her. Stopping what you were doing you looked over at him and giggled as he looked a bit lost.

«Oh I'm sorry», you said, «just talk to her, she'll calm down». But your suggestion sounded crazy to him, as he had never talked to a child of such young age before. And to his knowledge she probably wouldn't even reply, so what would he say?

«Hello», he looked at the little girl, she had the most beautiful face, making him scrunch his nose. How could she be his? She was simply too cute. «Scarlet?», he tried again with the only word he figured would make sense to say, the word he had replayed in his mind and repeated to himself whenever he had been alone. The toddler looked up at his eyes and he felt himself soften. «Hello», he said again, and the girl stopped crying. You were putting the hamper away when you saw, realising they were having a moment. You felt moved by it, but in order not to turn into a bundle of tears you continued to gather all her toys.

«Dada», Scarlet said as she grabbed a fistful of his black hair and tugged. His eyes widened as he most definitely held back a comment he shouldn't share with a baby. You quickly went up to them and tried to get her to stop.

«Scarlet, not the hair», you said, but she didn't like it. She screamed. His patience was running out and it made you sad to see. You didn't want him to dislike her. When you got her to let go he gave her back to you.

«She needs discipline», he said slowly. You laughed, which surprised him.

«She is just a toddler, Professor», you excused her, «she's still figuring things out».

«If she'll be anything like her mother that is going to take a while», he said. You glanced at him and frowned.

«I get it, you're still angry with me», you muttered as you put her on the floor and gave her a little dragon plushie to play with. «But if you want to tell me off, can you wait till she's gone to bed?», you asked as you sighed.

Before he got to say anything there was a knock on the door. Your heart raced as you looked at the professor, who strangely enough didn't seem too bothered by it. Maybe he'd already conjured an excuse in his mind as to why he was there.

«Oh, Hagrid», you said as you opened the door to greet the tall man. He smiled as he saw you, a tray of food in his hands. Scarlet recognised the sound of his voice as he said hello and she ran towards him, screaming with glee.

«Scarlet, there yeh are little pumpkin», he smiled as he gave you the tray so he could embrace her little body in his big hands. Picking her up he froze when he saw the dark figure standing behind you. «Oh, Professor, I didn't see yeh there», he excused himself. Professor Snape gave him a forced crooked smile. Looking between the black haired man and the black haired girl in his arms he felt spooked. Glancing at you he laughed nervously. «I see», he mumbled.

«Hagrid, would you keep this to yourself for a while?», you asked him, the tension only growing.

«Anything fer yeh, Y/N, it'll be strictly between yeh and me», he said and nodded.