43 • Bubble Trouble

The door slammed shut behind you, the lock clicking, making Scarlet blink hard, her bottom lip trembling. You stroked her back and kissed the top of her head as you whispered an apology to her. She smudged her face into your jumper for comfort, making your jumper dirty.

«Sit down», he growled at you in anger. You did as you were told, teary eyed and annoyed, your face heated from shouting. The red skin on your cheek from Ginny Weasley's hand more visible than before. You rocked the little girl gently, and she soon drifted off to sleep, clutching to you like a baby monkey.

«If you're going to yell at me, let me put her in the other room first, so she can have a nap», you muttered. He huffed and nodded in agreement. Standing back up you rushed into his chambers and put her on the sofa, nestling her up with a blanket and a pillow. Kissing her forehead you walked back out and wiped your face. You sat back down in front of him and he stared you down.

«I don't know where to start», he hissed as he massaged his temples with his eyes closed. You shifted in your seat, feeling uncomfortable. For the first time in a long time his anger made you nervous.

«It wasn't my fault», you tried to defend yourself.

He slammed his desk with an open hand. «It doesn't matter whose fault it was», he growled, «your behaviour was unacceptable». You looked down and tried to focus on your fingers for a second, as your vision went blurry.

«Sorry», you replied quietly, your voice breaking.

«It's one thing to publicly talk back to another student like that, and another to not listen to a Professor, let alone scream at one», he yelled. You blinked away a couple of tears, and as they touched upon your hands you watched as you used your thumb to spread the salty teardrops onto your skin. «LOOK AT ME», he yelled louder. You slowly glanced back up, biting your trembling lip.

«She'll hear you, Professor», your brittle voice whispered.

«Why did you even bring her there?», he hissed.

«Would you prefer to have her locked up?», you asked quietly as another tear fell down.

«I didn't say that».

«It's what you meant», you snapped.

Another slam of his hand to the table made you flinch. Fuming, he groaned and sat back into his chair. He shoved his hair away from his face as his anger was starting to make him sweat.

«Dumbledore asked me to», you whispered, «but it seems as though my past mistakes are coming back to bite my arse».

Professor Snape was torn by his anger and his feelings for you. It was a tug of war between his double-sided game, the role of a lover and of a professor.

«What was the need to talk like that to him?», he asked, attempting to calm down.

«His girlfriend slapped me! Did you not see that? Everybody else did», you exclaimed, «and he believed that I WANTED to feed that fucking rumour».

«You should always be the bigger person whe-»

You stood up, «easy for you to say, you don't have to worry about any of this! The whole school is thinking I got into his pants and that Scarlet is the daughter of the mighty Potter», you said, smiling through your tears in anger. «And if they don't think that I could've managed that, I'm sure they're already contemplating which bed I crawled into, like I'm some kind of loose fucking canon», you growled, «or a whore».

«Enough», he snapped, making you sit back down. Using the sleeve on your jumper you wiped your nose. «If Dumbledore asked you to-»

«If? What's that supposed to mean? Do you think I'm lying?», you hissed.