86 • That Imbecile

Smut ahead.

**

«What are you suggesting, Albus?», Snape asked, his voice baritone and cold, «I cannot see any reason why Lucius and I should work together».

Dumbledore had a sip of his tea, «there is a reason, one that Phineas and I discussed prior to this meeting».

Lucius huffed and crossed his legs. He spoke through gritted teeth, «I don't need a job, Dumbledore».

Your eyes diverted between all of the men, and you wondered why Dumbledore would even consider putting the two of them together after all you'd been through. Most likely it was for his own gain.

«There is no questioning your wealth, Mr. Malfoy, but wouldn't it be a splendid opportunity for you to show the Ministry where your loyalty lies? If I remember correctly, loyalty and status is important to you, hm?», Dumbledore said and ran his fingers through his beard.

The senior Malfoy bared his teeth in a sneer, «I suppose so».

«Cut to the chase old man», Snape hissed.

Professor Penrose's eyebrows rose into a surprised expression, he couldn't understand why someone would talk like that to the old Headmaster. Clearly he hadn't been around Snape too much in the past.

Dumbledore cleared his throat, «all in due time, Severus. It'd do you some good to work on your patience», he said and smiled, his eyes twinkled rather mischeviously. You chuckled.

«Tell me, Albus, did you call this meeting purely to humiliate me?», Snape asked slowly, earning a smug smirk from the white haired man.

«Not at all, I think my offer would be most interesting to you, Severus», Dumbledore replied and finished his tea, «Phineas, why don't you explain to them our proposition?»

«It'd be my honour, Albus», Penrose said and nodded at the old man. He turned his attention to Snape, «you see, Professor Snape, after Bellatrix Lestrange and..»

Penrose looked over at Lucius and swallowed nervously, the senior Malfoy raised an eyebrow and relished in the man's nervousness.

«..Lucius Malfoy's escape from Azkaban, you and many more uttered your concerns with the security of the prison. Well, truth be told, the Ministry has had several meetings to discuss the matter, but we have failed in reaching a solution», he continued.

Snape huffed, «ask me why I'm not surprised».

Penrose ignored his comment and side eyed Lucius before he continued, «therefore, Albus and I have discussed this many times over and we have found a way we think might help us reach that solution».

«And having me work with him is your brilliant solution, Penrose?», Snape asked slowly, sounding annoyed and unimpressed.

Lucius rolled his eyes and drank the rest of his water, «Severus, don't think for a minute.. that I am enraptured about the idea».

You sighed and felt quite bored of the men's continuous fight for dominance and for their masculinity. In certain moments it could be quite entertaining, but at the current moment it did nothing but annoy you.

Penrose cleared his throat as he sat up straight, intertwining his fingers on top of the table, «what we would like for the two of you to consider», he began and looked mostly at Snape, somehow a bit uneasy about hiring an ex-prisoner, «is a collaboration where you work together in synergy for the sake of finding, and perhaps creating, the best option for security at Azkaban. Something to replace the dementors. Our hope is that no one else will escape the prison in the future, with the goal being making it an administrative maximum prison with a level of security other magical cities or even countries would envy».