95 • About Time

Standing outside Dumbledore's office you struggled to steady your breathing. Your anxiety rushed through you non stop, and counting to ten — backwards and forwards — didn't seem to calm it.

With a shaky hand you put your hand on the handle. Your heart was beating so fast it felt as if it would burst out of your ribcage any minute. Pushing the handle down, you swallowed nervously and closed your eyes for a brief moment. You inhaled and exhaled one more time before you began biting the inside of your cheek as you opened the door.

«Miss Y/LN», Dumbledore greeted you as he peered at you above the rim of his glasses.

The two familiar faces next to him caused tears to be pricking in your eyes. It had been a little over two years since you'd seen them after all.

«Y/N», your mother said, in a fake loving tone, «you haven't changed much at all».

«Gained some weight?», you father asked, and you shot him a deadly glare.

«Why are you here?», you hissed and kept a safe distance from them. Worried that if you got too close you'd betray yourself and fall into your mother's arms, weeping.

«Well, you better sit down», your mother said and nodded to your father who seemed to agree. The looks they exchanged were warm and loving, the real infatuation you'd always admired between them.

You hesitated for a moment, but when Dumbledore gestured for you to do so you obliged politely.

«Mr and Mrs. Y/LN, it is, as previously stated, a pleasure to meet you. Though I do think this meeting will prove to be in vain, unfortunately», Dumbledore said, causing you to knit your eyebrows together in confusion.

«What's going on?», you asked Dumbledore, but quickly turned your attention to your parents.

Your parents joined hands in your mother's lap, and exchanged another look. They seemed to agree to continue explaining the purpose behind their visit.

«Dear, we-»

«Wait», you held up a hand to stop them, «are you both going to ignore the fact you've basically disowned me for two years? And just go on calling me 'dear'?»

The woman sighed and held onto her husband's hands nervously, «well, my d—, Y/N, we wanted to apologise», she began and looked towards the Headmaster, «and we wanted to thank you for letting her return after her incredibly childish and stupid decisions. Getting herself pregnant.. oh Merlin, we didn't know what to do, Professor Dumbledore».

«So you just kicked me out», you exclaimed and raised a hand angrily.

Dumbledore seemed to regret his presence in the room, «of course we would welcome her back. Miss Y/LN is always welcome at Hogwarts. She is a clever witch», he explained and then shot you a smile, «one who I was very proud to offer that apprenticeship to. The one I just told you about».

Your parent's faces fell, when you'd expected them to be happy. At least you were doing something with your life.

«About that», your mother said and turned to you, «your father and I came to let you know that we have been offered a transfer to MACUSA. The positions-»

«Macusa?», you asked curiously.

Your father sighed, almost as if your lack of knowledge disappointed him. «Magical Congress of the United States of America», your mother explained and continued, «the jobs are a lot better, in many ways. You know how we've been working our way upwards, don't you? Well, this is our opportunity to do a great leap».

Your eyes flickered between your parents and the old wizard. «Okay? America? So you're moving?», you asked, still feeling confused, «what's that got to do with me?»