47 • Tick Tock

Snape had apparated right back to Dumbledore. His fast return startled the old wizard who was accompanied by the Minister Rufus Scrimgeour and auror Kingsley Shacklebolt.

«Back so fast, Severus?», Dumbledore eyed the professor, extremely curious as to why he had returned without the two girls.

«Lucius is playing a game, sir», Snape replied, his voice deep and evidently annoyed. He greeted the Minister and Shacklebolt with a nod, grateful of their presence, however worried about how he were to explain this situation without having himself fired for it.

«A game, you say?», Dumbledore asked slowly, «where's the girls?»

Snape glared at the Headmaster, but cleared his throat as he realised the mentioning of them didn't exactly reveal his involvement at all.

«It seems he has unfinished business with Miss Y/LN. But I might be wrong», Snape began as he paced back and forth, «I left her there. The child was nowhere to be seen».

«You left a student with an Azkaban escapee?», the Minister exclaimed.

Snape walked over to Scrimgeour and stopped right in front of him, as he spoke the other man felt his warm breath on his face, «don't you criticise my choices, Minister, if the Ministry had done their jobs properly Mr. Malfoy wouldn't have escaped», he said through gritted teeth.

«Severus, we had a situation», Shacklebolt's voice cut into the tension as he stepped inbetween the two, «it seems as if Voldemort's most trusted followers are still plotting something. We have reason to believe they're after Albus, as well as the Ministry», he explained.

«Vengeance, Severus», Albus pointed out, making Snape blow air out of his nose in annoyance for stating the obvious.

«Why have we not been informed 'till now, Scrimgeour?», Snape said angrily, pacing once more.

«The members of the Ministry and I agreed not to, as we didn't want to cause an outburst of panic», he replied, «the plan was to gather the escaped death eaters without anyone knowing».

«You say death eaters in plural», Snape hissed, «how many is out?»

«Lucius Malfoy and Bellatrix Lestrange», Shacklebolt said. Snape glared at him.

«How did they get out? Azkaban has seen far too many escapes, Scrimgeour», Snape growled, getting impatient.

«The dementors-»

Snape cut off the Minister, «so trusting their allegiance after the war's end wasn't a good idea after all? I could've told you that».

«No one could have predicted this. With Voldemort's downfall-»

Snape cut him off once more, «you thought they would just glide back into supporting the Ministry? After having deserted their roles, letting several convicted prisoners on the loose? Tell me, are you daft?»

Albus's loud voice stopped Snape from continuing, «Severus, this solves nothing, and changes nothing», he cleared his throat, «let's focus on the issue we're facing».

«I'm merely saying that trusting the dementors-»

«Severus, not now», Albus raised his voice further. Snape huffed and turned his back to the men. His anger had surfaced as a way to distract him from his panic and sadness.

«Malfoy and Lestrange might already be planning a mass breakout, in order to have all the death eaters by their side», Shacklebolt spoke up.

«So you're saying this could be another war?», Snape drawled.