𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈. 𝐦𝐚𝐣𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜 𝐩𝐮𝐫𝐩𝐥𝐞

-HER-

Something felt different the next day after coming back from my test. Nuncia hadn't asked me a single question. She had saved some dinner for me since it was already late. I was tired, so I quietly had my supper in my room and went to bed.

I woke up this morning to some commotion in the dorms. It was still early, and the priestesses were getting ready. The commotion bewildered me because everyone at the shrine usually began their day calmly. It wasn't until Nuncia entered my room with my new clothes that I realised today we would be conferred our titles by the High Priestess. Instantly, I felt the tension in the air.

Vittoria was going to declare the results today. I could envision the nervousness in the other priestess' about the results, but I didn't find myself sharing the feeling.

I already knew the outcome.

Nuncia didn't miss my unnatural composure. I sensed her eyes lingering on me while perplexity hung on her face. Her reaction wasn't unexpected because it was my nature to be anxious and antsy in a situation like this, mainly due to my dynamics with Vittoria. However, today was a different story.

But she couldn't know.

I overlooked her stare and instead examined the attire she had created for me. She must have been working on it discreetly because I hadn't seen it earlier. The initial fabric was the standard white, but it felt different to the touch. It was slightly heavier than the fabric we usually sported. Upon unfolding the rest of the clothing pieces, a glorious purple emerged out of the folds of the rich white cloth. The intricate gold embroidery on the purple instantly captured my eyes. It looked magnificent. I couldn't help but run my fingertips over the stunning artwork.

"I hope you like it," Nuncia remarked.

"It's for me?" I asked, still perplexed. It wasn't anything a priestess was allowed to wear in the shrine. Then who was it for?

"Can't you tell?" She beamed proudly.

"I— this is— why would you—" I couldn't form a proper thought as I glanced at the majestic purple colour again. It reminded me of the life I had left behind.

But what was it doing here?

She shrugged but said nothing. I shook my head. "I don't get this. This is... I can't wear this! This is against the rules,"

"You don't like it," Nuncia assumed.

"No, this is one of the finest pieces you've created, Nuncia, but do you expect me to wear this to the ceremony?" I asked. I didn't know what had gotten into Nuncia lately. Was she trying to get me kicked out of the shrine as well?

"Yes," She responded, "What's wrong with it?"

I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Someone told you to make this, isn't it?" I suspected. Her eyes widened in shock, but she composed her features soon enough. "Otherwise, I don't see how you could get your hands on fabric of this kind. Someone must have imported this," From the expression on her face, I could guess who might have made Nuncia make this.

"You are getting late," Nuncia told me. "I'll be waiting outside. It would be best if you changed quickly," She exited my room quickly. I couldn't get over it yet. I examined the purple fabric, getting lost in the intricate golden embroidery.

When I stepped out of my room in ceremonial attire, the dorms were almost empty. Even Nuncia had left. I was feeling out of place with the purple cloth. I contemplated going back to my room and leaving behind the purple part of my attire but doing that didn't feel right.