Book 2: Chapter 27

-HIM-

I felt empty in the middle of the night. It was odd. I had never felt that before. I stirred in my sleep as the dream faded away. Maybe it was part of the dream I had already forgotten.

I groaned. I didn't like it. It made me feel lonely. So lonely that, for a moment, it felt like I was the only person in this unforgiving desert, and the thought itself was scary enough to wake me up.

My vision remained unfocused due to the lingering sleep. I was met with absolute darkness when I opened my eyes. It made me feel lonelier. I needed someone— I needed her. Immediately, I reached out for her in the dark.

I felt something heavy settle in my stomach when I found the place beside me empty. I looked around in the small tent, but there was no sign of her anywhere. On top of that, the tent's flap was open. I got up immediately and rushed out, looking for her.

Maybe she went out in the night to relieve herself, but there was no sign of her. It gave me an unsettling feeling, but I didn't stop looking for her.

I caught her scent in the air, but it was faint, making the sinking feeling in my stomach worse. I looked around for her frantically, but she was nowhere around the camp. My wolf started pacing inside me while I could feel Drucaoth starting to awaken— all of us looking for her, but she was nowhere to be seen.

Did she go too far? Then I must go after her, but why would she do that? What could have gotten into her? Why would she wander away from the camp at night, especially with all the sandworms out and hunting now?

No, something wasn't adding up. Theresa wouldn't do this. She was much more intelligent than that. Then, it could mean only one thing— she was taken from the camp when she stepped out of the tent to relieve herself. This was the only possible explanation I could think of behind her disappearance.

But still, there was no foreign scent in the night air around the camp. Or maybe she had been long gone. My blood ran cold thinking about it.

No, I wouldn't let this happen. I will get Theresa and make an example of whoever dared to take her away from me.

"Lars," I growled, pacing around the camp, trying to catch her scent and pin a direction she might have gone, but the night breeze kept changing direction, distorting her scent trails. This aggravated my restlessness even more. I needed some hints. Otherwise, there was no way to find out.

No, there must be some way. I wasn't going to give up so fucking easily.

Sensing the commotion, my men started to come out of the camp. I noticed the man who was supposed to be on watch sleeping. Instantly, rage coursed through my veins.

I went to him, curled my fingers around his throat, and tugged him up. He woke up with a start, seemingly in a heavy daze. This made me burn with rage. While he was sleeping. Theresa was taken from the camp.

Before he could figure out what was happening, I drove my fist in his face until blood splattered everywhere. I wanted to tear that man apart, but Lars pulled me back before I could do that.

I was breathing fire by now, and my vision was rapidly shifting. Lars was saying something to me, but I couldn't hear him. There was a ringing in my ears; all I could focus on was Theresa's absence. I looked around for her frantically, but there was no sign of her and her scent had been completely wiped away from the camp by the night air.

This was it. There was no trail of her. She was gone. Forever.

My chest vibrated with a thundering growl while my wolf fought me to take over. I was going to find her at any cost. Drucaoth was completely awake inside me. I was on the verge of snapping and losing control to let him take over. I knew it would end in disaster but I didn't want to care.

I wanted to unleash him and find her. I wanted her beside me at any cost. Not having her beside me felt highly torturous. I needed her.

I tried to calm myself down, but that was hard when I could only focus on her absence. Lars instructed everyone to look for her, but that didn't feel enough.

"THERESA!" I bellowed, my growl echoing in the whole desert. I hoped she'd hear me. I hoped she'd find a way to come back to me. She had to come back to me.

Lars was by my side again, explaining the whole plan to find her, but I couldn't listen. All I could hear was my heart pounding in my ears and Drucaoth's bloodthirsty thoughts. Lars tried to calm me down, but it wasn't working.

"I'll either have Theresa or someone else's head tonight," I growled to him. My voice came out deeper and more guttural.

"Alex, listen to me. We'll go out in the desert and look for her, but you must keep calm. Or else, it would become a bigger mess," He spoke to me, but if anything, his words fuelled my anger.

"I don't care. I want Theresa," I growled. The colour red was slowly starting to bleed into my eyes. My vision started to switch rapidly as Drucaoth took over. I couldn't fight him anymore. I didn't want to fight him anymore. I wanted to let him out and go looking for Theresa.

"Alex, please. You need to stay calm," Lars tried for the last time, and this finally made me snap. I turned around and kicked him in the stomach until he went flying in the air before crashing into a tent with a loud thud. It might have broken one of his bones, but I couldn't care less.

I wasn't going to stop. I was going to wreak havoc—

"Alexandros!" A female's shriek made me snap out of my blood thirst. Theresa. "You hurt him!"

~

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the next 4 chapters on Inkitt for Free. Read up to the next 10+ chapters on Patreon. Click on my bio's "support me" button to get there.

Also available on Patreon: Mr Night Book 2, A Touch of Desire, Monstre, Marmadoke and many other stories.

Follow me at Instagram - benita.ritz

thanks for reading<3