Book 2: Chapter 21

-HER-

I settled in the furs while hearing Alexandros talking to his men. I had come to bed early, not exactly because I was tired. Although it was a legit reason, the major reason was that I needed some time and space to myself to think.

So far, things had been alright, but I didn't have a good feeling about what was about to come. It was just hard to explain. It was one of those instinctual things that lingered in the back of one's mind. Even though I was feeling somewhat good about being away from the palace and the scheming nobles, the desert had an eeriness about it that was hard to ignore. And it was grating on my senses. I had felt an eerie presence here while I had watched the sun go down. It felt like someone was watching us. I fought back a chill.

I wish I had stayed back so that I could have heard from Vittoria, that is, if she had opted to write me back. But here in the desert, there was no way of communicating. One could easily get lost here or, worse— get swallowed by one of those giant sandworms Lars was talking about earlier in the evening.

I shuddered and pulled the furs up to my face. The temperature seemed to be dropping more and more. My eyes were about to flutter shut when I heard the tent fabric rustle. I looked up to find Alexandros' intent eyes on me as he zipped the tent's door. That mere act shot a jolt of spark through my body that made me forget about the dropping temperature of the desert. The heat in his eyes as he gazed at me didn't help either.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. All the traces of sleep suddenly evaporated from my eyes. He gave me a teasing smile before sitting beside me. It was then that I noticed the extra furs. Something fluttered in my stomach at the realisation that he'd be sleeping with me tonight.

"We're sharing," He responded, slipping under the furs. I grew stiller than a statue as he moved closer to me under the furs. My heart almost leapt out of my chest when he put his arm around my waist and pulled me towards him. "We'll be sharing furs for the rest of the journey," He spoke, his voice deep and husky. It did unspeakable things to me. I was at a loss for words all of a sudden.

My body was charged with tension all of a sudden. As he moved closer and ran the tip of his nose along my neck, I almost moaned due to the sparks that erupted from his touch.

"What's the matter?" He asked when I continued to remain silent, enjoying his touches while fighting back the moan. I was afraid that if I made that sound, then things would get out of hand, and I wasn't sure I would be able to stop after that.

"I'm... I'm tired," I managed to breathe. Well, it wasn't a lie. I was tired, and despite the excitement triggered by his proximity, the tiredness could be heard in my voice. He eased his hold but didn't move away from me. Instead, he tangled our legs, cuddling me. In spite of the arousal, I found myself relaxing against him.

"Sleep well," He whispered, his hot breath fanning my neck. Oh god, it's going to be a long night for me.

"I'm not used to it," I whispered.

"Used to what?" He asks. His voice sounded like the chime of the wind, making it worse for me.

"Er.... Sleeping like this," I answered. He chuckled gently against me before pressing a hot kiss on my neck, setting that moan free from my lips. Instantly, his chest vibrated with a growl, and things tensed up between us again.

"Well then, you must get used to it then because you'll be in my arms every night as long as I am alive," He spoke with such ferocity that threatened to set fire to my body, "I've craved for this for far too long. I'm not giving this up for anything,"

I swallowed hard at his declaration. I wanted to speak, but I was at a loss for words. My mind seemed to have stopped working all of a sudden. Ugh, it was frustrating.

"My Theresa...." He whispered, turning me around to face him. I gasped, looking into his fervent glowing eyes. His pupils were dilated as he looked at me. There was a certain kind of hunger in his eyes that made the juncture between my legs throb with need. "I cannot believe you're finally in my arms," He whispered before his lips descended to mine.

I felt like everything had caught fire as he kissed me. It shouldn't make me feel so fucking needy, but I couldn't help. I wanted to deny this whole attraction thing, but my body was not having it anymore. I should have been feeling tired and falling asleep, but I felt myself coming alive with this newfound energy as I kissed him back.

He made an erotic sound at the back of his throat as I took his lips between mine and sucked hard at it. I put my hands around his neck, pulling him down to me. I wanted to feel all of his body against me as I kissed him deeply in the darkness. He let me kiss him for a few moments before taking over by spearing his tongue through my lips and stroking mine deliciously.

The more he kissed me, the more I felt like I was on the verge of exploding. When he finally pulled back and let me gasp for air, I was seeing stars. He stared into each other's eyes, breathing hard from the kiss.

"I guess I got carried away a bit," He muttered, cuddling me again. I sighed deeply, feeling somewhat sated for now.

"A bit too much," I breathed, snuggling against him. I felt him smile against my skin as he pressed another promising kiss against my neck.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help it," He whispered, stroking my arm and finally, the exhaustion greeted me back, making my eyes heavy. "It will be torture for me to have you in my arms but not mark you," He mumbled a hint of playfulness in his eyes. My lips curled.

"Then I shall do everything to test you," I giggled, making him groan.

"Spare me tonight, mate," He whispered, sighing deeply. I could feel him relaxing while sleep claimed me.

~

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the next 4 chapters on Inkitt for Free. Read up to the next 10+ chapters on Patreon. Click on my bio's "support me" button to get there.

Also available on Patreon: Mr Night Book 2, A Touch of Desire, Monstre, Marmadoke and many other stories.

Follow me at Instagram - benita.ritz

thanks for reading<3