𝐈𝐈𝐈. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐬

*Song above - Toxic - Britney Spears (Bardcore | Medieval Style)

-HER-

"But, I don't understand," she persisted, "You're not a priestess yet. The High Priestess still let you out of the Shrine. What made her violate such an important rule for you, Theresa?" When I didn't respond, she sighed and mumbled to herself, "Maybe it's because you're a Royal. I guess there's no rule that couldn't be broken for a Royal,"

I clenched my jaw and kept rowing. Ness would ask more prodding questions if I told her anything. I'm sure that the High Priestess wouldn't be pleased if she finds out that I've breathed a word about this to other priestesses. Getting high on gossip was one of their pastime hobbies. If I said anything to Ness, it would spread like wildfire in the Shrine.

Her eyes lingered on me, waiting for me to say something, but I stayed silent and rowed, dreading the fate awaiting me in the Shrine tonight. My apprehension grew more as we reached closer to the Shrine. 

As the last curtain of fog curled away, unveiling the towering, archaic monument cut out of stone, standing prouder than the Lagrifiri volcano behind it, something sunk in my stomach.

I was shuddering, more due to fear than the chilling currents brushing my skin against my damp clothes. I got out of the boat and pushed it to the shore along with Ness.

"You should keep going. I'll do the rest," Ness advised. I nodded hesitantly before turning towards the Shrine. It posed on top of one of the two sacred mountains. They weren't much in height, but they still helped keep the Shrine off the water when the sea swallowed the beach. A hundred rock-cut stairs led to the top of the mountain, where the Shrine stood in all its glory.  

Behind the Shrine was the volcano. The volcano was on the other end of the island, disconnected by the dead mountain shrouded by dense woods that nestled the Necropolis of Lagrifiri. The volcano often appeared to merge with the Shrine's silhouette, making the monument appear even more towering. 

After climbing a hundred stairs leading up to the Shrine, I was out of breath. I sat on the top stair and caught my breath before entering the Shrine. It was dark inside the Shrine, and the priestesses seemed to have gone to bed but, I knew that a certain someone was still awake, awaiting me.

Like a mouse creeping inside a pantry, I entered the building and went to my room. On my way, I passed a room where a candle was still burning. It happened to be Nuncia's room. She was still awake, sewing clothes. 

"What're you doing? I nearly pricked myself!" She hissed when I entered her room unannounced.

"What is this?" I demanded, pointing to the clothes that I was wearing.

"Clothes, why?" The bewilderment on her face irritated me. 

"Clothes that make me look like a whore!" I spat. "Why would you make something like this?"

"I'm out of the clothes I sewed last month. Last week, Vittoria demanded all of them, and I didn't have enough fabric. I put this together somehow this morning," she explained. 

Why would Vittoria need all the clothes? I wondered. I was about to respond when a familiar voice spoke up, startling us.

"You're back!" The voice exclaimed with a phoney excitement. 

Here she was, finally. 

I saw a flicker of fear in Nuncia's eyes while apprehension shrouded her features. With the speed of a turtle, I spun around to face the subject of my nightmares.

The High Priestess.

"Yes, your excellency," I replied meekly.

"How long have you been back?" She demanded.