𝐋𝐗𝐕𝐈. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐬' 𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦

-HER-

His words rang in my ears as I headed back to my old wing through a secret passageway. I was terrified by what he said because I knew he meant every word. If he took me with him, then all hell would break loose. It would be seen as a sign of betrayal, not only to my brother but also to the shrine. If I went with him, I wouldn't have anywhere left to go.

On the other hand, Alexandros still didn't have any idea about who I could be, and I had a terrible feeling that he wouldn't be pleased if he were to learn who I was. He might as well lose all feelings for me if he found out. It frightened me even more because then I had no idea what I would do. It wouldn't be a sane decision if I went with him.

I was aware that Herran wouldn't let me live for long. He would make sure I was dead if he wanted me dead, and nothing could stop him.

On my way, I stopped by a window that overlooked the front of the palace. For some reason, I was starting to feel more and more detached from this place. It was starting to feel like I had never been to this place.

The decorations of the celebrations were still there, though I could see some servants starting to take them down from the less obvious places. This reminded me that it was the last day of the celebrations.

What was going to happen after this? What was I supposed to do after it? Was it all Vittoria had sent me here for? I couldn't stop thinking about this. I don't think that the things for which Vittoria had sent me here were over yet. Something was going to happen... but what?

When I returned to my old wing, it was shrowded with a deathly silence. Everything looked as usual, but it didn't feel like that. I went to see Arke first because I remembered she was fatally wounded last night. I also wanted to see Doria and Nuncia and ensure they were safe after the last night's monstrosity.

I had an odd feeling when I reached their room. I knocked on Arke's door first and waited, but there was no answer. I knocked again and waited, but still, there was nothing.

"I'm coming in," I announced before opening the door in case she was busy with Doria. Still, there was no response. Finally, I pushed the door open and stepped inside the room, only to find it empty. All of Arke's belongings were gone. I checked other's rooms as well, but no one was there, and neither were their belongings.

I was deeply confused. There was just no sign of them left behind. They were... gone. When did they leave? Why didn't they wait for me? What could all of this mean?

Someone must have some clue about this, especially Fiona. I went to her room, but her room was empty as well. There was just nothing left behind that could suggest that someone had been living in the room for the past week. I went to my room, and my things were gone too.

I couldn't understand what was happening. I went to the servant's rooms, and I also went to Selam's room, but all I was met with was emptiness. It was as if no one had ever been in this wing before. The front door was locked as well... but from the outside.

What was happening? Was this the sign of something?

I searched the room again for any hints, but there were none. Everything had been just stripped clean. Nothing was left behind. Even my old study was empty. There wasn't even a single piece of paper left behind. The more I dwelled in this emptiness, the more I felt uneasy.

Something was wrong. Terribly wrong.

I stood still in my study room and closed my eyes, turning my focus inwards to see or hear anything I might have missed. However, there was nothing... only silence and stillness. I took in deep breaths, spreading my focus out of myself and kept on extending it to as far as it could go. It took me a second before I could finally start seeing things, but it wasn't clear.

There were flashes of images. I saw a few flashes of Fiona leaving in the middle of the night, but apart from that, there were no hints of Arke, Doria and Nuncia. I concentrated even more, but I didn't see them. There was simply nothing.

When I opened my eyes, I had this urge to see my brother. The odd feeling from before had intensified even more. It was making me feel dreadful. My stomach was churning, and my heart was thundering in my chest. Cold sweat was breaking out of my forehead.

Everything around me felt like an illusion... or a part of a dream in which I had been locked away. I shuddered. I needed to get out of there.

The more I stood there, the more intense the dread felt. The urge to see my brother got stronger and stronger.

Was he in trouble? I thought to myself. Even though he had said nasty things to me the last time I went to see him, I still cared for him. I left the wing through a secret passageway and headed to the court to see my brother. While I was doing so, I heard more footsteps leading the way.

It was the sound of guards.

But why were they headed towards the courtroom? The eerie feeling from earlier got intense. Something terrible was going on.

Was Herran staging a coup? The thought sent a chill down my spine. I broke into a run towards the courtroom. When I exited the secret passageway, I was met with guards marching past the courtroom to the palace's main courtyard. I dashed to the courtyard with my heart about to dig itself out of my chest.

Before I entered the courtyard, the thick smell of blood and the dreaded feeling of death hanging thick in the air greeted me. I shivered, slowing down instantly when I almost reached the exit of the secret passageway. From here, I could hear painful grunts and weapons clashing.

I heard an animalistic growl that I had never heard before. I was met with a war scene when I finally exited the passageway and stood in the shaded courtyard area. The once beautiful garden of the grand courtyard was now covered with blood and mutilated bodies of guards. The fountain water had turned red, but still, that wasn't what made my blood run cold.

It was when I saw Alexandros pinning my brother down before he raised his sword to drive it straight through his chest.

_

The next 3 chapters are free on Inkitt. Read the complete book on Patreon. The Links are in my bio.

Also available on Patreon: His Scarlet Match, Saint, Mr Night Part 2 and many other stories.

Follow me on Insta @benita.ritz for updates and sneak peaks :D

Thanks for reading <3