Book 2: Chapter 36

-HER-

I was relieved to reach the tribe. It felt like forever since we had been travelling through the desert. To see huts and other people felt like a fresh breath.

As soon as we reached the tribe, everyone welcomed us grandly. I wanted to ask Alexandros what to do, but before I could ask that, he climbed down the horse and started talking to the chief.

Meanwhile, some tribal women noticed me and helped me down from the horse. I could feel their curious eyes as they led me away from Alexandros. It made me panic for a second, but given how relaxed Alexandros seemed to be with the chief, I decided to trust the tribal women.

They tried to speak to me, but I couldn't understand their language. Finally, someone got a man who could speak the common language to help me communicate with the tribal women. They were fascinated to see someone with my kind of skin, hair and eye colour. I could feel two small girls touching my hair curiously while I talked.

They asked me where I was from. This is where I felt slightly anxious. I hadn't discussed this with Alexandros. Even though he sounded very eager to introduce me to his people as his future Queen, I always found this somewhat of a sensitive topic.

Even though he was very accepting of me, I knew his people wouldn't be as accepting. I was a Somirean princess, after all, a natural enemy. This wasn't going to be as easy as he thought.

I told them I was from the capital and brushed off the topic. After talking to the women, they asked me if I wanted to take a bath, and I immediately said yes to that. I hadn't had the opportunity to wash myself properly while travelling because there used to be hardly much water left after drinking.

They got to work immediately and got me some water to wash myself. They even helped me clean, which I found to be nice but a little uncomfortable. I wasn't used to people being so hands-on with me. The tribal people seemed friendly and very welcoming, especially the women, but that odd feeling was still inside me, continuing to eat me away no matter how hard I tried to ignore it.

After bathing, we had lunch together. However, Alex was still nowhere to be seen. I asked the man translating for me about Alex, and he told me that he was still with the tribal elders discussing some issues. This left me alone with the ladies for the rest of the time.

They tried asking me more about my life in the capital, and I tried my best to answer them without revealing too much. This went on for a while until I fell asleep due to exhaustion. I slept after that for a while. I didn't know how long, but when I woke up, it was quite dark outside, and I felt well-rested.

Outside the hut I was staying in, there was a lot of commotion and noise. At first, it felt like there was a fight, but when I peeked out of the window, I found the tribe members preparing for what seemed like a feast.

I yawned, wondering where Alex was. I hadn't seen him once since entering the tribe. Before I could go around looking for me, the tribal women were back, and they immediately started to get me dressed for the feast. They made me wear their traditional clothes and jewellery.

When I was taken to the feast, the whole tribe had already gathered there. Alex was there as well, waiting for me. As soon as he saw me, his eyes lit up with that fierce possessiveness that always made me weak in my knees.

I couldn't miss how he was dressed in traditional clothes, and it suited him well. Too well. He had that unmistakable regal aura about him no matter what he was wearing. It almost reminded me of the night when I met him first.

He was disguised as a peasant, yet something about him had struck me as odd about him. I could've never guessed he was a King that night.

"My beautiful Queen is here," He declared, making everyone bow. I sucked in a breath and gave him a stern look. "Come, my Theresa. I had been waiting for you," He offered me his hand. I took it reluctantly before he pulled me against him and planted a gentle kiss on my cheek, making everyone roar with cheers.

"The celebration for our future queen begins!" The tribe chief roared, and immediately, the whole place came alive. Despite that odd feeling, I managed to enjoy the celebrations. There was singing, dancing and even some games and drinking.

I indulged freely, forgetting about everything for once. For a moment, the gruelling travelling through the desert felt worth it. Here in the small tribe, I could forget about the whole world and focus on the current moment, and it made me feel lighter from all the worries I had been carrying for such a long time.

Here in the tribe, I was just an ordinary girl enjoying my time with other normal people. I wasn't a priestess or a runaway princess whose brother was probably hunting for her. I was just me, and that feeling in itself was oddly freeing. I could tell that Alex felt the same way due to the sudden switch in his nature. He was enjoying the night in full swing.

It was a fantastic night. The kind that one remembered for a long time. I didn't want the night to end, but all good things had to end. That was just the law of nature. I should've known it, but I enjoyed it a lot, too much for my good.

I should've known because it hardly took much for sweet things to turn sour quickly. I was too drunk to notice at first, but then I heard it.

People were shouting, not with joy or enthusiasm. They were screaming in terror.

~
vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the next 4 chapters on Inkitt for Free.

Read the complete book on Patreon. The links are in my bio.

Also available on Patreon: Veronica's Fallacy, A Touch of Desire, Monstre, Marmadoke and many other stories.

Follow me at Instagram - benita.ritz

thanks for reading<3