Book 2: Chapter 26

-HER-

I tried to struggle against my captor, but I couldn't match their strength. Their fingers were digging into my flesh painfully, and to some extent, I was finding it hard to breathe due to their hand clamping my mouth and my nose at the same time.

My eyes remained on the camp so I could memorise where exactly I was being taken. I kicked my legs and continued to struggle as I was being dragged up a dune. When we were quite a distance away from the camp where no one could see us, my capture finally let me go.

I gasped for a breath and decided to scream the first thing.

"Oh, shut it," A familiar voice snapped just in time, making me stop and look around. Even though it was quite dark in the desert on that particulate moonless night, I could recognise her in the darkness right away.

"Vittoria," I gasped, unable to believe for a couple of seconds, but still, there was no doubt that she was here. I could feel her divine powers surge through me in an overwhelming wave that made me want to kneel in front of her. But I didn't. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, you wrote to me, didn't you?" She asked, stepping closer. Goosebumps surfaced on my skin as I felt a stab of terror. I swallowed hard. It felt like it was my judgement day. Even in the darkness, I could feel her stabbing eyes looking through my soul. There was nothing to be hidden from her, and not that I was trying to hide anything from her. It's just that things had gone the wrong way and... I felt at fault for everything, even though I knew I shouldn't.

"Vittoria.... I didn't want things to go this way—" Before I could start explaining, she interrupted.

"Things go the way they should go," She snapped, "I am here for you,"

"For me," I breathed.

Of course.

"Of course," She muttered. I took a last glance at the camp. Alex must be sleeping there, thinking I was still in his arms. But when he'd wake up the next morning, he'd find me gone and look for me everywhere, but he wouldn't find me. I felt a tug at my heart. He'd be devastated to find me gone without any explanation. I blinked away, the tears stinging my eyes.

Heck, he might think that I was stolen or a sandworm ate me while I was relieving myself in the middle of the night. I had to let him know that I was leaving, but then... what about the promise I had made to him? I didn't like to break promises, especially as important as those. I didn't feel like leaving him, not yet, not like this, not in the middle of the night. I wanted to be with him. We were being separated too soon, too quickly, and I didn't like that, but things never happened according to my liking.

I could only accept what was happening.

"Can I see him for the last—"

"No, I'm not taking you tonight," She corrected me, and I felt a surge of relief. "But I am here to talk to you about you two," She spoke with an accusing tone, and I didn't have to ask her to know whom she was talking about.

I shuffled on my feet, wondering how I was going to tell her everything. I was pretty sure that I had violated a bunch of rules by now, and if I were to admit them out loud now, then she might as well punish me.

"I have formed an alliance with him against my brother," I decided to start with the easiest part. "Our interests align,"

"You know damn well, Theresa, that I am not talking about such things," She gave a dry, humourless laugh. There was a cruel bite to it that reminded me of all the things she was capable of.

"Then you already know about what you asked for," I told her upfront. She knew everything, after all. Why ask me, then?

She laughed some more before speaking, "Oh no, I don't. I want to know what you've been up to with him. Does he know that you hold a title at the Shrine?"

I swallowed hard. She knew she had gotten me.

"No," I whispered. She laughed.

"And how long do you wish to hide it from him? Especially after you've formed an alliance with him? You ought to disclose such important information after all..." she spoke, rounding me.

"I haven't thought about it yet. We're solely focused on the journey," I told her. "I have decided to tell him about my title when we return,"

"No," She shot. "He shouldn't know. Not yet,"

"Then? Am I supposed to keep hiding it?" I asked her, and she shrugged.

"But... what about the rules? He says we are mates, and he plans on marking me before the war," I informed her, making her through her head back and laugh.

"How sweet," she purred, "Making plans for the future already," I didn't make the dangerous tone in her voice.

"I'm just telling you, Vittoria," I told her grimly.

"But what about you?" She asked, turning to me. "What do you want?" She asked, her voice sharper and more dangerous than ever. It was a loaded question, and I knew that the wrong answer could cost me a lot more things.

"I never get what I want, so it doesn't matter," I told her sternly.

"Cut that bullshit and answer me, Theresa. What do you want?" She pressed, moving closer until I could feel her overpowering presence choking me.

"I want everything to go back to normal," I told her, making her laugh at me mockingly.

"What do you mean by normal exactly? Your normal is to be back in those dungeons, living your life in captivity while everyone forgets about you. Are you telling me that you want to have that again?" She asked, putting a finger under my chin, "Because I can make that happen again,"

"Vittoria, I—"

"THERESA!"

~

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the next 4 chapters on Inkitt for Free. Read up to the next 10+ chapters on Patreon. Click on my bio's "support me" button to get there.

Also available on Patreon: Mr Night Book 2, A Touch of Desire, Monstre, Marmadoke and many other stories.

Follow me at Instagram - benita.ritz

thanks for reading<3