𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬

-HIM-

"I'm glad to see you back after such a long time, your Majesty," Flavius stated when I appeared at my court after nearly a month.

"I'm glad that you're glad to see me," I said, glancing through the list of work piled up due to my absence. Flavius stood before me with a peculiar hesitancy. 

"I'm truly glad to see you, Your Majesty," Flavius repeated awkwardly. "I've been looking forward to your return. A lot of advancements took place in your absence. You're back at the right time otherwise—"He stopped abruptly due to my pointed look. 

"What kind of advancements?" I inquired carefully. Hesitancy lingered on his face as he shuffled on his feet.

"It's about the revenue from the feudal lords," He responded, matching my careful tone. He continued, "It's about the Memor brothers from the Northern frontier,"

I sighed. Those two have been the source of my headaches for a long time now.

"What did they do this time?" I asked. From Flavius's uneasiness, I could guess that they must have done something outrageous. Again. 

"A spy says the elder Memor has been trading arms from the Somirean black markets," Flavius reported grimly. "What do you want me to do with them, Your Majesty?" 

"How much do the Memors pay in taxes?" I recalled. Flavius flipped through some leaves in his leaflet before answering, "three fourth of their produces,"

"That's such a small amount in taxes given the Memors don't maintain a serviceable recruitment rate to send us some troops,"

"Yes, that is true, your Majesty," Flavius agreed even though I was sure that he thought three fourth in taxes was a considerable amount.

"In that case, I don't understand why we tax them so lowly," I wondered, "only to have them send that surplus funds to Somirea in return of arms they're going to use against my men,"

"Yes, sir. They're taking your kindness for granted!" Flavius agreed without a choice.

"Then I say, we should arrange something that leaves them with less time and even lesser funds to think of treason,"

"Yes, your Majesty, but how?"

"Hmmm... I've chosen to award the Arkneys the Yak woods—"

"—the Arkneys?" Flavius choked.

"Yes, why do you look so horrified?"

"'m just shocked, Your Majesty. The Arkneys are the most dangerous tribe in your kingdom, aren't they?"

"They are,"

"And the Yak woods are marked as your property. It acts as a buffer to make sure no one has the misfortune of running into the Arkneys,"

"Yes?"

"If Arkneys get the Yak woods, then they'd be face to face with Memors. I don't think it would be secure for the latter," Flavius remarked.

"That's not my trouble, Flavius,"

"OH!" His eyebrows almost merged with his hairline.

"The tribals would keep the brothers occupied for a while. As for the funds, they'll surrender fifteen out of sixteen parts of their produces from now on," I added. Flavius seemed to have forgotten how to form words for a moment. "That should be enough. Inform the officials to start the paperwork for the land-grant and have a couple of my Warlords monitor the Memors closely,"

"I'll tell them right away, your Majesty,"

"I'm sure the Memors would be ecstatic to see their new neighbours," I smiled. "As for the tribals, they'd be pleased to have their territory extended. They send me exceptional warriors. I must show them my gratitude from time to time,"