𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈. 𝐰𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐢𝐞 𝐭𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫

-HER-

The next day, everyone sitting in the carriage except me had their jaws on the carriage's floor as we entered the Citadel. I closed my eyes and leaned back into my seat as I heard everyone talk about the grand Palace — the place we were currently headed to.

Of all, Fiona sounded the most excited. After all, she would get to live her dream of being Royalty. Nuncia, Arke and Doria looked thrilled but for different reasons. And I... I was neither excited nor happy even though I was returning home. It used to be my home, but now it was just another building with strangers. Strangers who were awaiting Fiona disguised as me.

The carriage entered the Palace's grounds before rounding towards Royal's entrance. I kept my eyes closed, pretending to be asleep while others talked about the place. It was my way of being in control. I had a lot of memories in this place, I didn't want them to bring down my facade.

I opened my eyes when the carriage stopped. We were inside Royal's shed, where the carriages used by Royals were parked. A footman opened the door for us before we got out of the carriage. A Noble from the court was awaiting us.

Before he took us to the court to meet my brother, the Noble showed us around a bit. They all looked around in wonder and awe at the beautifully decorated royal wing of the palace, where only a few people were ever allowed. I remained unfazed, maintaining a blank expression.

When we reached the court, I could sense everyone growing anxious. Fiona was anxious to meet the King, but my fellow priestesses were anxious for different reasons.

"Are you sure he wouldn't throw us out when he sees you?" Nuncia whispered in my ear when Fiona wasn't looking. She was at the court's door, ready to go inside.

"That's the only thing I'm unsure of," I answered, making her gasp.

"You can't do this to us!" She accused.

"Look, there would be a lot of people at the court. My brother would have to think thrice before throwing a tantrum in front of everyone," I explained. Even though she didn't look pleased by my answer, she looked somewhat satisfied.

Upon being called, Fiona entered the court anxiously. Meanwhile, we all waited quietly outside for our call, unsure what was next. I was the last person to enter the court when we were called inside. I tried hard not to look around and reminisce about my time here. I was here for a different reason.

As I had expected, my brother's eyes instantly locked with mine when I walked inside the court. Neither did I lower my eyes, nor did I look away. I wasn't here to hide, after all. I could feel his furious eyes burning on my skin as all of us curtsied before him.

"Your Majesty," Fiona was speaking, "These are my ladies in waiting. Arke, Doria, Nuncia and Theora," She introduced us. "I've chosen them after interviewing hundreds of women from all over Somirea,"

"I'm glad you were able to find them," He spoke darkly, his eyes still lingering on me, "I hope they are good at what they do,"

"Of course, your Majesty. I've tested them thoroughly, and they've met my high standards. People say I have a good judgment of people," Fiona bragged.

"That's quite evident in your selection of your ladies in waiting," My brother commented, maintaining his sardonic tone. I could almost imagine him grinding his teeth as his eyes continued to burn down on me.

"Thank you, your Majesty. I'm honoured," Fiona said, curtsying again.

"You're dismissed now. I shall see you later," My brother commanded. All of us curtsied for the last time before leaving the court. The Noble took us to my old wing next and showed us around. The place looked very different since the last time I lived there.

The walls have been painted over into a dull grey colour, all my portraits removed, the garden in my wing's small courtyard was converted into a pool, and the position of the bedroom had been changed. It felt like the whole place had been ripped apart and built from the ground again. The Noble left soon after he was done showing us around and making us familiar with the place.

"I'm so tired from the journey today," Fiona sighed, plopping on the bed. "Prepare my bath and clothes, bring me tea, and set my dinner now!" She snapped the orders at us.

The three of them instantly got busy with Fiona's demands while I explored the wing alone. I checked the trap doors, secret passageways, secret exits and rooms. Strolling through the secret passageways was my favourite pastime hobby while I lived here. I used to wait in those passageways and scare the servants by making eerie noises. Though memories like these were part of such a distant past, they seemed like the memories of another lifetime altogether.

There was a whole secret room built for me in the western tower. That was where I spent most of my time, looking down at the whole citadel and the city beyond that.

As I headed there, I had a feeling that someone was waiting for me there... and my instincts weren't wrong on this one. As I opened the secret door to the hidden room, I was surprised to find everything completely intact. It was the only part of my wing that seemed to have been left untouched.

All the surfaces were covered with a thick layer of dust— even the windows, dimming the room. Though even in the dim room, I spotted him, sitting in the corner, waiting for me like a cursed soul to take its revenge.

"I see you haven't gotten over your obsession with this place," I laughed, stepping inside the room and shutting the door behind me.

"What are you doing here?" My brother gritted, getting up from his seat with his eyes set on me murderously.

"I thought you were looking for your dead sister," I chuckled, "it's foolish you didn't expect me,"

"You'll be dead for real if you don't leave," He threatened. I gasped, acting to be afraid.

"Oh my," I huffed, "then who would teach that stupid girl to be me?"

"You!" He growled, reaching for his sword.

"You can dress any girl like me, but no matter how hard you try, you cannot make any girl me," I laughed. "And it's kinda stupid on your part to choose Fiona of all the girls on this land to pretend to be me,"

"Whatever I do is none of your business. I let you live the first time, but I wouldn't be so merciful if you try to mess with me again," He gritted, "and don't ever think that I'll let you get away by murdering my men,"

"Murdering your men?" I asked in puzzlement, "I thought you were the one who sent them on a suicide mission... for a silent invasion," I purred.

"If I kill you now, no one will ever know," He mentioned darkly.

"But if you kill me, people will find out that Fiona isn't the real Theresa," I beamed at him. "I wonder how that would work out for you," I heard him grinding his teeth as the realisation dawned upon him.

"You'll be on my watch," He threatened, stepping closer to me, "If you try to do anything suspicious, your grave will no longer remain empty,"

"In that case, I wouldn't be going to the grave alone, brother. You live as long as my existence poses a threat to your reign. Otherwise, we will perish just like our mother," I reminded him grimly. He might be a puppet, but this was something that he understood very well.

"You'll be on my watch," He told me for the last time and left.

_

The next 3 chapters are free on Inkitt. Read up to chapter 56 on Patreon. The Links are in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3