𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐕. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐛𝐫𝐚𝐫𝐲

-HER-

"Are you sure you don't want to go?" Fiona asked me after I declared that I wouldn't be present at the celebrations.

Nuncia and I were helping her get dressed for the celebrations. I had assigned Arke and Doria to accompany Fiona to the court. Nuncia would be only going for dinner because she still had to prepare Fiona's dresses for other days of the celebration. Selma overlooked the whole preparations, especially my contribution.

"Yes," I breathed.

"But why?" She frowned.

"I just don't feel too well today," I told her.

"Why? What happened to you? You seemed quite alright yesterday morning," She remarked, eyeing me in the mirror's reflection as I helped Nuncia do her hairdo.

"It's that time of the month for her," Nuncia saved me. "She has them quite bad, the cramps,"

"Oh," Fiona's eyebrows shot to her hairline. She said nothing and moved on from the matter, leaving me with one less thing to worry about. Though Selma's eyes digging into my back reminded me that I would never run out of things to worry about for the duration of my stay.

After Fiona left and Nuncia was back to her work, I came back to my study and waited for the celebrations to begin outside. In the meantime, I busied myself by working on Fiona's future lessons. The arrival of the Cromerian king was marked by a lot of commotion and music outside the palace, which could also be felt inside.

For once, Selma paused her duty of keeping an eye on me and left to see the opponent king. I used this chance to sneak out of the wing. Since the royal quarters were almost empty, I didn't have to worry about anyone noticing me heading to my brother's wing.

With just a flick of a few spells to make the guards fall asleep and unlock the door, I snuck inside my brother's wing and was instantly struck with a lot of memories. It used to her my parent's wing back in the day.

I knew he missed them as well because I could see his effort to keep the sentimental things intact. I was fairly shocked to see that he hadn't gotten rid of our last family portrait when our father was still alive. It was when Theoron was just born, and I was barely two.

For once, I forgot why I was there as I stood in front of the portrait and stared at the family that we used to be. I realised I had nearly forgotten what my father looked like.

The picture seemed to belong to another lifetime because I couldn't remember what it felt like to have a family. Before I could lose myself in the emotions, I wiped my premature tears and shook my head.

Where could he hide it? I thought to myself, wandering further inside his wing for a while and looking at the old portraits of my other family members who were long dead.

I decided to look into his study first. Even though I was sure that he wouldn't hide such a sensitive thing there, I still decided to look there just in case I had been underestimating my brother's stupidity.

His study was the same as I remembered it last time when our mother spent her time here. Though no trace of her remained over. Nonetheless, I was determined to find it.

She had left it for me, after all. It belonged to me!

I checked every crook of the study and didn't find it, restoring some faith in my brother's intelligence. I checked his bedroom as well, but I didn't find it. After looking for a while, I decided to go to the secret library up in one of the attics. It had been a long time since I had gone there. While she was alive, mother had ensured that that place stayed out of both of our reaches.

Now that she was gone, I was interested to see how my brother was utilising that space. After a few moments of struggling to remember the way to the attic, I eventually managed to find that trap door revealing the old stairs. Just like the old times, discovering a new undiscovered crook of this ancient building, my excitement blinded me from seeing the fresh footsteps pressed on the thick dust layers covering the steps to the attic.

I raced up to the secret library and swung the door open, unable to control my zeal.

"There she is!" An acquainted voice rejoiced, making me freeze. My eyes soon focused on the two men sitting on the reading couch. They looked unsurprised to see me, which implied that I was being expected here.

It could be dangerous if my moves became predictable. I needed to be more careful the next time.

"Herran," I gritted, glowering at the vile old man.

"It's good to see you too," He gave me a venomous smile, "and I hope you remember him as well,"

"Of course, she does," Krifaris spoke for the first time, "We've met before,"

"What a shame," Herran sighed, "I was hoping to reintroduce you two personally to freshen up some old memories,"

"What are you two doing here?" I almost growled, quietly closing the door behind me and facing them.

"The same thing that you're doing here," Krifaris answered, and Herran smiled. I studied the two carefully for a moment before stepping further inside the library and glancing out of the window. The palace ground was swarming with the crowd to see the new king.

"I thought you had guests to receive,"

"Pft, those menial tasks are for your brother," Herran scorned, "We've more important matters to deal with,"

"Like looting the treasuries?" My suggestion was followed by a tense silence. I was still looking at the crowd, but I could feel their eyes burning on me. "Or I suppose you're talking about covering up for the murders," I added, turning to face them.

"Careful, little girl. You know how things can go from here," Herran cautioned me. I gave him a seething smile as I took the seat facing them.

"That's why you brought this fraudster, didn't you? Can't face a priestess alone?" I wondered out loud.

"You dare question my—" Herran interrupted Krifaris and gave me one of his knowing smiles that always got under my skin.

"Since we're talking about fraudsters, how's Vittoria?" Herran asked with a cunning smile.

"You dare slur the High Priestess?" I dared, reaching for my dagger. The two of them laughed together.

"She is no High Priestess," Herran spat, "She is a nobody who killed people for power!"

"Why does that sound familair?" I dished back.

"She seems to have a death wish," Krifaris gritted. This time I was the one laughing.

"I dare you to touch me," I invited coldly, and he fell silent.

"Let's keep things civilized for now," Herran spoke, patting Krifaris' arm and turning to me. "Remember what I told you the last time we met?"

"Yes," I breathed.

A ghostly smile slowly etched on Herran's lips before he asked, "Who did you dig up?"

_

The next 3 chapters are free on Inkitt. Read up to chapter 65 on Patreon. The Links are in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3