Book 2: Chapter 18

-HIM-

"So... is everything okay?" Lars asked me after the whole ordeal, looking shaken from the scene caused in the court today.

I'm sure he wasn't alone in feeling like that. I have a whole lot of explaining to do after the incident. Some might not take it well, but it didn't matter to me anymore. Everything was set now.

Theresa was my mate, and I was going to war for her. And there would be no one who could change my mind on that.

"Things couldn't be better," I grinned, making him more anxious.

"Are you sure?" Y-you almost switched today in front of everyone at the court," He spoke with hints of fear in his eyes. Many people know of the curse and the demon inside me, but only a select few have seen how bad things could get if I let it take over me, if I switch. Lars was one of those people.

He knew how close I was to switching today. Sometimes, it happened randomly, but today, it was about to happen because they constantly incited me. Because of Theresa, no blood was spilt in the court today.

"I'm alright," I assured him, "I'm in full control,"

He nodded, but that fear still lingered in his eyes.

"I have some news for you," He spoke.

"Good or bad?" I asked, preparing myself. However, I could tell by his face where things were headed.

"Worse," He breathed. I cocked an eyebrow at him while he continued, "There's some issue with the Zanoba tribe in the far west,"

"What is it?" I probed more because that tribe is one of my main warrior tribes. They have sent me the best warriors in the past who have helped me win a lot of wars. I took great care of them, and it was unusual to hear any complaints from them.

"Their chief says he isn't going to send any more warriors from now on," He spoke.

"What about the agreement?" I reminded.

"It's a new chief, and he says that all the agreements made prior to his leadership are nullified,"

"Is he right in the head?" I asked.

"I don't know, but I've heard he killed and took over the previous chief over some personal rivalry. No one likes him, but they have no other choice. He wants to withhold his warriors not because he cares about them but because he's thinking of attacking the neighbouring tribes who have their warriors with us at this moment. He's looking to stir up some shit for some extra land," Lars explained.

"Flavious sent some officials to talk to him previously," He informed me, reading my mind, "The new chief didn't listen to anyone. He attacked them and sent them away, saying he'll only talk to the King,"

I ground my teeth, thinking about this new issue. This was making things more complicated than they should be. I was about to prepare for the war, but one of my main warrior tribes was acting like this.

"What does he want exactly?" I asked, annoyed. I could ignore him, but that wouldn't send a good message to the other warrior tribes. They'd think I take them for granted and might turn against me right before the war. That would be a total disaster.

"He says he'll only talk to the king," Lars gritted. I was no more annoyed by this all. "What are you going to do? We could send someone from a rival clan to deal with his shit," He suggested.

"That would be the biggest blunder— putting two warrior tribes against each other. I want them to be as united as possible," I dismissed his suggestion immediately.

"Then what are you going to do? Go see him now? That'd be ridiculous," He scorned.

"How many days it'll take for me to get there?" I asked. Lars looked at me wide-eyed for a few moments.

"You aren't thinking of travelling there right now, are you?" He asked.

"Just tell me," I pushed.

"Two weeks in the hot desert, one to go there and one to return. Still, that's when you don't encounter any desert storms or bandits on your way," He answered, crossing his arms.

"If we factor them in, then how long?" I asked.

"Three to four weeks," He spat.

"Start packing right now. We leave tomorrow morning before sunrise," I told him.

"You aren't serious,"

"Tell Flavious to keep things in check at the court and tell my General to start preparing the army in full swing. I'll be back with the Zanoba warriors and their chief's head just in time," I commanded.

"Your Majesty," Lars grumbled, knowing we had no other option. "And what about her? Are you going to leave her here with Dervis and Celsa?"

I had been thinking about it too intensely that she had slipped away from my mind. I didn't want to take her with me because the journey would be a long and tough one through the desert, but at the same time, the thought of leaving her here alone didn't sit right with me. Not that anyone would dare to harm her after I declared her my mate, but still... I didn't trust Dervis. I was sure he was cooking up something with the Nobles against me, and I didn't want Theresa to fall prey to that.

People here were already wary of her due to being a Somirean princess. Leaving her here might endanger her more. My people were still warming to her. Without me, she'd feel lonely and isolated here.

"She's coming with me," I told him.

"Are you sure?" He asked. "Because it's going be tough," He told me, looking genuinely concerned for her.

"I'd rather have her beside me in that cruel desert than here while I'm gone," I tell him. He nodded before a smile edged on his lips.

"Or you just want some alone with her," He suggested. Suddenly, a spark lit up inside me. He must have read my face because he threw his head back and laughed.

"You're my best man for a reason," I chuckled.

~

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the next 4 chapters on Inkitt for Free. Read up to the next 10+ chapters on Patreon. Click on my bio's "support me" button to get there.

Also available on Patreon: Mr Night Book 2, A Touch of Desire, Monstre, Marmadoke and many other stories.

Follow me at Instagram - benita.ritz

thanks for reading<3