𝐗𝐋𝐈. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐬𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐞𝐫

-HER-

It was quite late in the evening when Fiona eventually returned from the Mage's Tower. Viscount had left by then but not before meeting the other priestess' as well. I was the only one awake by then, pacing in my study, worrying for Fiona and pondering over the succinct message Vittoria had sent me.

The message had felt too superficial to be from Vittoria. Was there a cryptic connotation behind it? Did I need to decipher it? I couldn't decide. I tried to make sense of it endlessly but was unsuccessful. Although for the time being, it enabled me not to think too much about Fiona.

I had nearly missed Fiona's arrival. She didn't knock on the door. Rather, she entered her own wing like the shadow of a thief. I had noticed her because I was still listening with my internal ears... awaiting something just more than that girl named Fiona. At first glance, nothing seemed out of ordinary about her, but her eyes looked slightly tired.

"What took you so long?" I asked her cautiously, ensuring not to show any sign of worry on my face.

"He was showing me around, and the Emperor had joined us," She answered nonchalantly, looking away.

"What did you discuss?" I asked, escorting her to the bedroom.

"Just the celebrations," she answered as I helped her undress and then get into the bed before properly tucking her in. Her eyes grew droopier with every passing second.

"You look awfully tired," I remarked, scrutinising her as her eyes fell shut. I could see it on her eyelids the exact moment when she was plunged into a dream. I waited a few seconds, expecting an answer. When nothing came from her, I decided to leave.

As I stepped out of her bedroom and closed the door behind me, the air of her room brushed my neck, and with that, I heard her whisper, "He gave me something..."

~

Fiona remained in bed past her waking time the next morning. I didn't wake her up because the time she spent sleeping was the time spent by us in peace. Nuncia got onto her sewing business, Doria went to the court as usual while I practised with Arke.

"Nula would be disappointed if she were here," Arke commented snakily after we fought a round that ended up in a tie. We stopped to catch our breaths and drink water.

"I'm quite disappointed by your performance too," I dished back. Instantly, Arke dropped the mug of water from which she was chugging down huge gulps, picked up her sword and leapt towards me. I gave out a short laugh before manoeuvring myself, missing her sword just by a few inches from my stomach.

"I challenge you to a duel!" She growled, giving me a death glare while I threw my head back and laughed.

"Careful, Arke," I warned her, "I don't want you to make losing a habit," I chuckled. She snapped and lunged at me again, swinging her sword in a violent rage that blinded her. I laughed as I flipped and rolled away. "Why don't you just stick to what you're good at?" I asked her, taking my dagger out.

"So you do accept that I am good at something?" She gritted, her murderous eyes fixated on me.

"Of course, pussy licking," I giggled but stopped when another voice giggled as well. Arke and I froze and looked around until our eyes fell on Fiona. She was standing by the shade, watching us.

"My lady," Arke greeted, putting back her sword, "We didn't see you,"

"Oh, I've come here just now," She told us, stepping into the courtyard, "I didn't know you were quite fast," She commented, scanning me from head to toe with a pensive gaze.

"Of course, she's fast. When one cannot fight their opponent, the only thing left to do is run for their life," Arke snarked. I put my dagger back.

"You sound like you have quite some experience with running, Arke," I dished back. Fiona bust out laughing while Arke's glare trend even more murderous.

"Let's fight a duel and see who's the one running," She challenged.

"Alright," I shrugged, taking my position. Arke slid out her sword again. "I don't mind starting my morning with a win,"

"No!" Fiona intervened. "I don't have time for this today. I need to go to court. The Emperor had ordered me to be there," She announced.

"Alright then," Arke muttered, putting her sword back, "We'll fight some other way,"

~

While I was helping Fiona get dressed, the Royal Servants arrived. There were three of them. Two of them were quite young— Sana and Nayla, while the head of them was an older woman— Selma.

Sana and Nayla seemed to be newbies, but Selma— she had that spark in her eyes when she laid them on me. I didn't have to second guess why she was here.

After a brief introduction, everyone got to work, helping Fiona prepare for court that day. Everyone got to their respective chores— Doria was already out, Arke went out to get some eggs and bread, Sana and Nayla got busy in the kitchen while Nuncia and I helped Fiona get ready for the day.

While we worked, I felt Selma's sharp eyes lingering on me. I didn't have to look at her to know that she was scrutinising me. I could just feel the intensity and tension in her gaze. It made me wonder how much my brother had told her about me.

My brother might not be that bright, but I was sure he wouldn't risk telling some Servant about me. But again, he'd sent Selma to look after me, specifically. She must have some idea about me. I wouldn't be surprised if she knew a thing or two about me.

After Fiona left for the court with Nuncia, I got some time to myself. I decided to spend the time in my study, preparing new lessons for Fiona that I was supposed to take in the afternoon until there was a knock on the door.

Out of habit, I ordered them to come in. It was late when I realised my slip up. The door creaked open, and Selma walked in. A side of her lips was tugged up in a knowing smirk.

"I knew it was you, Theresa," She smiled slyly like a snake.

"I thought I introduced myself as Theora," I corrected her, keeping my face blank and my the tone of my voice cold. I tapped my feet lightly to feel the weight of the dagger in my pocket. I was glad I didn't leave it in my room... just in case.

"Theora, Theresa, Thea... the princess had a lot of names," she said, stalking up to the table, putting her hands on the table, and digging her eyes at me. "All of them are you," She declared.

"You can't be so sure," I told her.

"I know a princess when I see one," she told me darkly, "I had put a lot of them to sleep,"

"I'm glad. It'll take the weight off my shoulders if you could take on the evening duty for the princess," I told her, putting the papers away, and getting ready to leave.

She laughed.

"You do you know what I mean by sleep, Theresa?" She pushed. I stopped and looked her dead in the eyes.

"Careful, Selma. If you pretend to know me, then you must also know what I am capable of," I cautioned her.

"So you are her?" She pushed further.

I gave her a long and hard look.

"I can be her if you cross me,"

_

The next 3 chapters are free on Inkitt. Read up to chapter 61 on Patreon. The Links are in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3