𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕. 𝐰𝐚𝐥𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐫𝐮𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬

-HER-

Our training got increasingly challenging and demanding in the next couple of weeks. Somedays, Vittoria would come to watch us. I was sure that she had us prepared for something... but what?

I had rubbed my mind against every surface, but I still couldn't find a proper reason behind Vittoria's idea of spreading rumours about me. It had been keeping me awake at night. In the evenings, when I spent time with her in the lagoon, smoking pot, she still wouldn't tell me anything. Whatever it was, all I knew was one thing— she wanted me prepared. And I was right.

She disappeared for a few days again, returning almost after a week with a strange glint in her eyes. That evening, she called me into her office. I waited for her to speak while she poured us tea and laid out the cards.

"What rumour did you spread this time?" I asked. I couldn't miss the bags under her eyes and hollow cheeks that screamed about her sleepless nights.

She had been up to something.

"I love spreading rumours," she smiled, "but one needs to be careful of them. Rumours spread like wildfire,"

"You didn't burn down the Palace this time, did you?" I asked, looking through my cards.

She gigged, "I wish, but I'm going to do something that might set that place on fire," She told me darkly, her caustic tone sending a shiver down my spine. I froze and examined her face to see if she meant that.

"What did you do this time?" I asked cautiously.

"I didn't do anything," she laughed, her eyes gleamed mischievously, "It's you who will do the doing this time,"

"Me!" I gasped. "You want me to go back there?"

In response, she threw her head back and laughed. "Imagine your brother's face when he sees you there,"

"Are you playing with me, Vittoria?" I asked, feeling anxious and bewildered.

"No," she snapped back as if she wasn't laughing just a few seconds ago. I stared at her wide-eyed as the smile drained off her lips, and a fierce look took over her face. "I'm going to send you back to the Palace, but you wouldn't be going there as you,"

I shook my head, "I don't get it,"

She sighed deeply and took a sip from her cup.

"Theoron has his back against the wall because of my rumours. He's found a girl to pretend to be you to fix his image," she told me.

"And you want me to do what?"

"I want you to be that girl's lady in waiting," She explained. "He's going to introduce that girl to everyone on his Coronation anniversary,"

The wheels were finally turning in my head. I could see what she was trying to do by planting me at the court.

"But I cannot go there alone," I told her, "the mages...." I trailed off, shuddering. They were the worst people there. I was sure if my brother or Herran saw me, they wouldn't just leave me alone.

"You wouldn't be going there alone," She assured.

"Would you be coming with me?" I asked. If she were by my side, I could think about overthrowing my brother, but I don't think she had that in her plans yet.

"Who do you think would be running this place then?" She asked, "Arrieta is getting old and..." she trailed off abruptly. "Never mind," She muttered. "Three more priestesses would be going with you,"

"And they are?" I asked intently.

"Why? Your best friend Arke, her lover and of course, Nuncia," Vittoria replied nonchalantly.

"You're not serious!" I slammed my hands on the table. She looked up at me grimly, but I could see the mischievousness in her eyes. "Why would you send that bitch with me when you know she tries to get on my nerves every other minute!"

"I'll entrust Arke with the duty to protect you," she smiled.

"You're getting on my nerves!"

"Doria will look out for you, and Nuncia will keep you company. Isn't that perfect?" Vittoria's smile widened.

"You're sick!" I spat. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," Vittoria sang before Arke slipped in, followed by Doria and Nuncia. "Sit," she commanded, and everyone took their seats. I threw Arke a murderous glare. She looked slightly confused, but she didn't let the opportunity of glaring back at me go to waste.

"Your Greatness," Nuncia spoke, "we're unsure of the reason for our summoning,"

"I know," Vittoria said, collecting all the cards on the table and shuffling them. "You all are here for a grave cause. You will all go to the mainland with Theresa,"

Vittoria's declaration shocked everyone.

"But why your greatness? Are you banishing us?" Doria asked anxiously.

"In a way," Vittoria said, shrugging before pulling a card out of her deck and putting it on the table, "You all will be going to the Palace,"

Gasps followed her words.

"But for what?" Arke asked.

"You'll find that out once you reach there", Vittoria laughed, looking at me.

"When are we leaving?" Nuncia asked.

"Tomorrow," Vittoria declared, "All of you will leave the shrine before sunrise. No one will speak about this with anyone, and lastly, no one should see you leaving," She threatened. "Now, go back to your rooms and prepare,"

Everyone instantly evaporated like a puff of smoke, except for me.

"Was it this you were preparing me for?" I asked her.

"Not exactly,"

"If you wanted to send me back, why didn't you do it before?" I asked.

"Because you weren't ready,"

"So now, I'm ready?"

"You'll never be more ready,"

_

The next 3 chapters are free on Inkitt. Read up to chapter 52 on Patreon. The Links are in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3