𝐗𝐋𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈. 𝐚𝐧 𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐩𝐡𝐞𝐜𝐲

-HER-

"It'd be better to be a queen one day than a play princess," Fiona declared, stunning me. Nuncia, Arke and Doria froze. It was good to know that I wasn't the only one who found Fiona's ambitions far-fetched.

Swallowing the moon sounded more reasonable than her becoming the Cromerian queen.

"So... you like him?" I laid out my question carefully.

"Not that much, but he has shown enough interest in me. I could tell if I play my cards right then someday, I might b—"

I couldn't help but burst out laughing.

"You do know who you're talking about?" I reminded her. However, she was looking at me as if I was the one talking nonsense.

"Why? He's just another king," She waved her hand dismissively. "Anyway, we'll be going tomorrow, and I want you to accompany me as well," She stated.

"No!" Arke shot instantly. I saw something strange in her eyes. It was as if she was afraid of the idea suggested by Fiona. Though that look soon disappeared from her eyes. "I suggested only Doria and I accompany you," She chipped in.

Fiona cocked an eyebrow at Arke and probed, "Why can't Theora come with us?"

Arke swallowed hard and shuffled on her feet nervously. She gave me a troubled look but looked away instantly.

"I think it would be best someone stays back... in case something happens," She offered haphazardly. Her answer didn't seem quite convincing, though I could deduce from the sudden shift in her demeanour that she wasn't comfortable with me going on the tour with them.

But why?

She wouldn't have any reason of her own to stop me from going on the tour.

Maybe, Vittoria told her to do it? After all, Arke is supposed to be in charge of my safety. Maybe, leaving the palace would make me vulnerable to something dangerous I'm oblivious of?

On top of that, I wasn't enthusiastic about meeting the mutt king. I loathed him with every fibre in my body. It'd be better if I didn't accompany Fiona on the tour. My short temper and loath for the mutt king might end up with me doing or saying something stupid to him that might hurt his ego.

It'd be best for me to stay back.

"Nuncia would be staying back. I'm sure she'd enjoy some time off from sewing by going to the court," Fiona suggested.

"I think we should stick to what Arke is saying," For the first time in the history of time, I was agreeing with Arke on something. It was a rare event— just like the occurrence of any hint of intelligence in Arke's pea-sized brain. I could see that she was already smug about this. "Gathering news from the court isn't Nuncia's cup of tea. I'd rather have her stick to thread and needle," I suggested with a grave tone.

I could see Fiona thinking about it while we all waited silently for her.

"But what if I need you there?" She asked restlessly.

"What would you need me for?" I urged.

"What if the king asks me to do something only Theresa could do?" She gasped.

"I don't think he knows much about the princess," I tried to assure her, but she shook her head.

"You'd be surprised to know how much he knows about her," Fiona almost whispered, staring into the distance, on the verge of getting lost in her thoughts.

"Still, you can always talk the talk if you can't walk the walk," I told her, but she shook her head, discarding all my suggestions without giving them a second thought. It was as if she had already something fixed in her mind.