𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈. 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐲 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬

-HER-

In the early mornings, before sunrise, the four of us left the shrine in the manner robbers would leave after a grand robbery. I could feel their anxiousness. It was after a long time they left the shrine.

We went to the abandoned harbour where a familiar ship was awaiting us. The three looked unsure of the ship, but I knew who it was. I led them through the abandoned harbour towards the boat. I was surprised to find Viscount, but I didn't show it. The ship turned towards the mainland after we boarded it.

On the journey, Nuncia fell asleep while Arke fell seasick midway, and Doria got busy looking after her. Meanwhile, I stayed awake, thinking...

Should I talk to Viscount? I couldn't stop thinking about it. But what would I speak to him? I didn't know. I just wanted to talk to him because he was the only part of my past that seemed somewhat intact. The only difference remained— he wouldn't recognise me.

Gently, I removed Nuncia's head from my shoulder and laid her down. After making sure that she was fast asleep, I left the cabin. The sea wind slapped me on the face, making me taste salt.

My eyes fell on Arke bending down the railing and puking her guts out while Doria supported her. Either way, none of them were paying any attention to me.

I rounded the cabins and went to the back of the ship. Although I wasn't sure if Viscount would be there, it felt most likely. I knew this ship belonged to him because the ship bore his family's crest. He must have a private cabin at the back.

Anxiously, I went to the back of the ship with my fingers crossed. I was relieved when I spotted him standing by the stern with his back to me. I contemplated what I was going to do next. Though the rational part of my brain told me not to get involved, I couldn't help myself.

I walked up to him quietly. He didn't notice me until I was almost beside him, startling him a bit.

"Can I help you?" He asked, stepping away slightly to look at me.

"I was wondering how far the journey extends when we reach the mainland,"

"It's quite far from there," He answered, turning back to the sea, "It'd be sunset when we reach there. You don't have to worry about it. I've everything arranged," He assured.

"Thank you," I smiled, "Vittoria told me they're an old Nobel family. I was wondering which one,"

"I'm not sure you'd recognise them," He smiled at me politely, "The commoners have mostly forgotten them since they aren't active in the court,"

"Hmmm... is it the Nelbrooks?" I guessed. His head snapped at me in surprise, "Or the Northmakers. Or the Larmalets. I've heard they have a lot of daughters. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them has been chosen,"

"I'm sorry, how do you know their names? We haven't been formally introduced even though I met you before," He said, visibly amazed.

"I'm sorry, I should have—" I smiled apologetically, about to burst into tears, "My name is Theora. I recently graduated as a priestess,"

"I'm Viscount Godfree, the first in the line of the Godfree house and an active member of the Guild," He spoke, extending his hand but stopped suddenly. I could see a bit of hesitation on his face.

"I do know about your family," I smiled widely at him as I shook his hand freely. Meanwhile, he watched me with puzzlement and shock.

"You seem to know an awful lot of Nobels," He noted.

"You can say I grew up at the court," I told him, and it wasn't a complete lie. I did grow up at the court...with him. He raised his eyebrow and stared at me for a moment.